Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App not opening properly

(Topic created on: 03-02-2024 01:18 AM)
JennySt
First Poster
Options

Hi there community,

I have a problem with a specific app on my Samsung s21 phone. The app in question is the NIV Audio Bible App (with David Suchet).  I have had this app for a long time, and it's been great, but late last year it started freezing on the opening screen whenever I open the app.  The only way around this is to go to my phone settings and "Force stop" the app.  Then it works, but only until I close the app.  Then the next time I open it, the same thing happens.  I have tried updating the app (I have updates set to automatic anyway, but have done it manually) and uninstalling and reinstalling it, turning the phone off and on.  The phone itself has had several updates since this started happening, and the problem stops for a little while after each update, but then settles back into this problem happening.  I have contacted the app developers and they have been really diligent in trying to help me fix it, but they can't replicate the problem.  It doesn't seem to be happening for them or other users of the app.  So I thought I would ask here to see if anyone has suggestions.  I know technical people sometimes ask for a "log report" from the app when the problem is occuring, but I can't supply this because the problem causes the opening screen, which has no buttons to press, to freeze, so I have no way of getting to a log report.  I know sometimes people suggest doing a hard reset of my phone, but I really don't want to do this, and not sure of the point of this since this is the only app that is not working properly.  Any suggestions?

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
Piper123
Maestro
Options
Hey there

Most of the options we would advise, you've already done so won't repeat those.

As you've updated your device a few times, my question is when did you last perform a Wipe Partition Cache on your device? If you haven't ever done this or not recently, this would be your next option to clear those temporary files that may be slowing your device down.
0 Likes
Piper123
Maestro
Options
1. Turn off the device.
2. Connect To Computer or Press and hold the Volume Up key and then press and hold the Power key
3. When the Android logo displays, release both keys.
4. Wait until the Android system recovery menu options appear.
5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
6. Press Power key to select.
7. Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
8. When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
9. Press the Power key to restart the device.
You can also Repair apps via the Recovery Menu.
0 Likes
JennySt
First Poster
Options

Thanks @Piper123 for this suggestion.  I've never heard of the cache partition before.  So I gave it a try.  It worked brilliantly! .... For about 24 hours.  The NIV has now reverted back to freezing on opening again.  This is very frustrating!!  It seems this is a problem I am going to have to live with.  By the way, don't suppose you know why Samsung community on the website thinks this is my "first" post, and the Samsung members app on my phone is not showing this post, but only my three previous posts?  I used the same signon and password, but it asked me to set up a display name, which is different to what's on the app (I forgot I had the app).  So it almost looks like I've got two accounts, but I don't

0 Likes