Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zfold 4 hinge issue and dead screen

(Topic created on: 2 weeks ago)
Artindoril
Navigator
Options
Hello,

Thought I'd start this post for us to record issues with the zFold 4 hinge. Whilst Samsung aren't publicly acknowledging it, it seems like a fundamental design flaw.

My fold started not opening fully and not long after the inner screen died. Unfolding the phone would cause the phone to turn off after flashing white lines. 

Trip to EE, and they added a grinding noise on the hinge to the list. Thankfully it was in perfect condition and EE replaced the screen, hinge and batteries under warranty.

This is an issue being picked up by the tech news sites, and one we need to put pressure on Samsung to do the right thing:

With contracts typically lasting three years now, they need to extend the warranty to cover this issue for at least that duration. To my mind the device isn't fit for purpose without that.

What are others experience with this issue?
0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Just to say @Artindoril I'm glad ee who have a Duty of Care under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 ,to look after you as they are the merchant resolved this for you. 

I owned the Samsung Fold³ from it's launch date which the only issue presented was that the inner screen protector delaminated. 

I've not checked but I assume ee sell some form of phone insurance, and Samsung sells Samsung Care+

This is in addition to the standard 24-month Limited Manufacturer's Warranty. 

I have my phone's covered under my Home Contents Insurance. 

Take care, and I wish you all the best  😎

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Artindoril
Navigator
Options
Wasn't even a duty of care :smiling-face: I'm with O2 and EE are able to do the repair under the Samsung warranty.

The local Samsung experience store couldn't make a booking on a weekend.

From my experience it seems like EE are the ones providing the customer service that Samsung is failing on.

As consumers we need to be forcing Samsung to step up in this space - and that could be as far as walking away from the brand sadly
0 Likes
Glenn M
Apprentice
Options

UPDATE: I called customer care. I told them that since it's a manufacturing defect they should offer something like a dicount to get my out of warranty phone fixed. I gave an example. Car manufacturers will offer that discount to any out of warranty cars as long as its a manufacturing defect. I'm now sending out my Fold 4 to get it fix with Samsung. Im not paying the $700 but a discounted price! Thank you Samsung as i really can't go back to an old Cellphone design. I love the Fold!! ❤️ Tip for Fold users, if you contact Samsung Care please be nice and they will help you out. Crossed fingers you get a rep from the Philippines. They will surely help you. ❤️❤️❤️

I'm an iPhone user for years and I was sold with the Galaxy Fold 4. But, for only 1.5 years of using it the hinge won't open completely. Called Samsung and the refuse to fix it even after seeing the photos I sent that my Fold 4 has no dings and scratches. They gave me the number of Ausorion to get it fixed. I need to pay almost 700$. In this case I'm switching back with my iPhone. Yes, iPhones are now boring. But, I'm sure of the longevity of the phone. Besides, iphones parts are way cheaper than any android parts in the market. Goodbye Samsung. Ima sell my Galaxy Watch 4 Classic. #youlostacustomer 

Artindoril
Navigator
Options
That's great, but I would argue you shouldn't pay anything unless you have dropped the phone.

If this is a design flaw, it should be replaced entirely at Samsung's cost
0 Likes
Glenn M
Apprentice
Options

I totally agree with you. But then again I was fully aware of the foldable design how fragile it is and still I didn’t buy the warranty. And all extended warranty covers any malfunction of any device or gadget. Paying $195 instead of 700$ is more like buying the extended warranty for 100$ plus 95$ deductible. I called customer care to negotiate to lower the price and I was not pushing the free repair as my device is out of warranty and no insurance. Also, I know that customer care will mostly based everything in documents. The call was almost 1hr long as they really tried their best to lower the price which I really appreciate. I never seen anyone get a free repair on any device that is out of warranty and insurance. So for me, this is a win-win situation.  

mr_browning
Apprentice
Options
I have also had this happen to me. My phone is within samsung warranty and 14 months into owning the phone I now have the same hinge issue. It happened one moment after i used it and it was working fine, then it would not open all the way. Unfortunately samsung are not honouring the repair as there is a tiny bit of damage in the corner of the phones plastic. It is quite clearly the same issue though and otherwise is in perfect working order, it's just the hinge wont open. I am very disappointed in samsung that they are just brushing this under the rug
0 Likes
Glenn M
Apprentice
Options

I’m not sure which warranty you have. Manufacturing warranty is only 12 months. If you purchased the extended warranty you should have 24month in total. Anyway, I would suggest calling customer care and ask them to help you out. Just don’t ask for a free repair as this is unreasonable especially if you have the phone for more than 6 months. even with insurance there’s always a deductible.  Ask them in a nice way and I’m sure they’ll help you like what they did to me. Good luck bro

0 Likes