Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy outright (cash, flex) + SIM or EE Monthly Contract ???

(Topic created on: 15-08-2023 06:00 PM)
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
So I have always been against buying Outright and then purchasing a separate SIM deal, but took the plunge with the ZFOLD3, ZFOLD4 (Samsung Flex), but the ZFLIP4 I paid cash.

In summary I feel the Samsung Flex is a rip off, the trade in sucks, a higher upfront payment and high monthly payments mean you end up worse off and allot less benefits than with a mobile provider, most mobile providers all.offer a upgrade at 12 mths also.

MY ACTUAL PURCHASES
ZFOLD3 - Paid £2,000 1TB, traded in an S20 Ultra, some pointless Adidas vouchers + £15 for an EE SIM plan = £2180 / 12 mths = £182 a month !!!
NOTE: EE deal I saw at the time was for 24 mths was £80, nothing upfront

ZFOLD4 - Paid £1900 with Flex, traded in the ZFOLD3 £1049 Flex,.paying £33 a month (£456 paid, £592 to pay), plus £20 for an EE SIM plan = £2140 / 12 mths = £178 a month
NOTE: EE deal then was £80 a month and I think £50 upfront

ZFLIP4 - Paid £1099, traded in a broken S8 Edge, plus EE SIM £25 = £1699 / 24 mths = £70 a month

NOTE PAYG SIM DEALS CAN BE FOUND CHEAPER, BUT AS THE SAYING GOES YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I want 5G enough data, good UK coverage and the Xbox Extra

WHAT ABOUT THE ZFOLD5
ZFOLD5 EE Deal is £150 upfront and £93 a month = less £30 a month if I trade in my ZFold4 = £1662 / 24 mths = £70 a month.

If I went went the ZFOLD5 on Samsung Flex, it is return ZFOLD4,.paying £60 a month Flex + £170 upfront + £20 EE SIM = £2070 / 24 mths = £86 a month

Regards Obsydian - (Car & Tech Evangelist)

MY DEVICES: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], Buds Pro2, M70A 32 & 43”; [Monitor], Smart Tags, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptop] / FAMILY DEVICES: ZFlip3, ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, S8 Ultra; S7+ [Tablet],  Buds Pro, iPhone 12, iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2 [Tablets] / HOME DEVICES: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears], MC28M6075 and MC32K7055 [Microwave], Jet 75 Complete (Vacuum), Samsung Level [Speaker]
14 REPLIES 14
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I have my Z Fold 5 on the upgrade program. This I prefer myself. As I look to upgrade every year
The S23 Ultra I have got outright, as I'm probably going to keep this for a couple of years. Mine you I said that about the S22 Ultra 🙄
I also have another non Samsung phone that I got via a 0% repayment
Allows me to get 3 cheap SIM only deals with unlimited calls and texts with various amounts of data
It's a case of sitting down with all the figures
Trouble is with phone contracts with providers.
The prices don't usually include VAT which can bump up the monthly costs
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
I have previously always got my phone's from the network provider previously T Mobile in the UK which became EE. I used to get the latest phone for slightly more than what my mobile contract was so it always felt like a free phone. The first time I paid up front was for the S22 Ultra, I traded in an S20+ with Samsung and got the S22U 1tb with free buds pro, I worked it out that I paid the equivalent of £300ish for the S22U due to the good trade in price which seemed like a good deal.

I had a lot of problems with the S22U which prompted me to upgrade to this current S23U 512gb with free buds pro2. I got the deal from EE which is done in 2 halves, one half is an interest free payment for the device 36 Months at £36 and the phone contract which is £35

I can pay the balance of the phone any time but don't see the point as it's interest free. I would probably clear it if I upgraded but I'm expecting to keep this S23U for a couple of yrs and am reluctant to risk another pre order after the appalling teething problems during the roll out early on with the S22U

I think the network providers provide a much wider range of options and value for money than going direct to Samsung. The only disadvantage is the limit to 512gb with the networks instead of the 1tb
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
Which Fold 5 model are you looking at? I'm assuming 256GB model and also assuming trading in a good condition 256GB Fold 4. Currently this would be £1749 - £650 trade in value for £1099 owed. Then 25 months repayment option it would be £109.90 upfront, 25 monthly payments of £26.38 and a final settlement payment of £329.70. What am I not getting here?
0 Likes
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
All my numbers include VAT, but not RPI

MY DEVICES: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], Buds Pro2, M70A 32 & 43”; [Monitor], Smart Tags, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptop] / FAMILY DEVICES: ZFlip3, ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, S8 Ultra; S7+ [Tablet],  Buds Pro, iPhone 12, iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2 [Tablets] / HOME DEVICES: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears], MC28M6075 and MC32K7055 [Microwave], Jet 75 Complete (Vacuum), Samsung Level [Speaker]
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I am on the Flex with the ZFOLD4 so quoting the numbers from Flex, figure is £60 a month

0 Likes
Wpahg7L
Explorer
Options
Can I ask how you got your contract in 2 parts like that? I can't see anything on the EE site that allows that and I'm due an upgrade this weekend...
0 Likes
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
I called the upgrade team on 150. I think I got an original invitation with a text message but deleted it but I rang to see what they could offer. I was out of contract so not sure if that makes a difference. I don't think the same deal was available online
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Used to do contracts with providers but nowadays if the signal is not good you are stuck for the length of the contract. Not to mention they bump up your monthly price every April even if you are on a longer contract.

Prefer direct from Samsung as you get updates faster and can pay interest free . I usually go for 1 year as I like to pay early.

Sim only options also lot cheaper and mostly one mont contracts so you can change whenever you want.

Haven't done any trade ins as read to many horror stories about them.
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Yes my Fold3 tradein was a nightmare, thankfully I realised I was not talking to Samsung but their scam representative First ???, one chat with Samsung and they sorted it all out, well the dated video evidence of a mint, flawless mobile helped.

Even PAYG rises with RPI, unless you go for real cheapo SIMs.

I haven't been in a mobile contract for a few years, but I did find they where quicker to get you up and running when there was a non damage, well even damage issue.

Stark contrast to my premium Samsung Super Protection on my ZFOLD4, I enquired about repairing a slight scratch on the bottom corner, told full.wipe device and upto 6 weeks if lucky to get it back.

0 Likes