Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Clear View Standing Cover : problems after booting the S9

(Topic created on: 23-11-2019 11:14 AM)
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

Sometimes, after a reboot, the opening and closing of the Clear View Cover isn't recognized by the S9.

When asked in the past Samsung suggested a factory reset, but that didn't help.

It is NOT a problem of the hardware, the hall-sensor works correctly ( tested with sensor test *#0*# ).

Some affected users have found the following workaround : press start button with cover being open, 5 sec after begin of startup close cover, keep closed while booting, some secs after sim-unlock-prompt the closed cover is recognized, from then on it works until to the next boot .

There are several topics, chats, etc for this issue - I would kindly ask Samsung to involve technical staff, do a proper root cause analysis and solve the problem.

23 REPLIES 23
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@IreibeX wrote:

So if there is a rule I haven't found it yet 😞 .

@Anonymous User, @Moderators : any ideas ?

Well, it doesn't seem to interest Samsung much. Then let's hope that this bug will have vanished in Android 10 ...

0 Likes
CarlH
Options
0 Likes
Pav2
First Poster
Options

Hi there I have the same problem again, but after a few days I just rebooted the phone and it seemed to start again. Unsure but it did, maybe try it that 😀

0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@CarlH wrote:

Already passed it on to our contacts, @IreibeX

Hi @CarlH , Thank you very much !

0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@henningr wrote:
Same issue here. After today's software update, clear view stopped working.

This morning the november security patch was installed, that went well, the cover was closed during the update, the S9 recognized the closed cover after the final reboot.

0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@IreibeX wrote:

@henningr wrote:
Same issue here. After today's software update, clear view stopped working.

This morning the november security patch was installed, that went well, the cover was closed during the update, the S9 recognized the closed cover after the final reboot.

Problem occurred again : started up the S9 ( with cover closed ), cover status wasn't recognized by the S9.

So the issue is not solved.

@Anonymous User: this was reported to have been "passed on" - could we perhaps get some information regarding the ( hopefully ongoing ) activities ?

0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@CarlH wrote:

@CarlH @Anonymous User : Due to some other problems with the hardware ( the bixby key didn't work so I couldn't boot into maintenance mode, wipe the cache partition and see if that solves the problem ) I sent my S9 back to the vendor. So in a way my problem is solved. Taking into account the other users having this problem I suggest you'll keep the problem open somehow and somewhere.

By the way : I'm a bit disillusioned with the way this problem is being handled by Samsung ( which isn't directed at the moderators in this forum - they do a good job, as far as I can tell ). If it is being handled at all ...

0 Likes
Solution
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@IreibeX wrote:

@CarlH wrote:

@CarlH @Anonymous User : Due to some other problems with the hardware ( the bixby key didn't work so I couldn't boot into maintenance mode, wipe the cache partition and see if that solves the problem ) I sent my S9 back to the vendor. So in a way my problem is solved.

Well, the vendor gave me new S9 ... and that works. As there also were some other issues with the other device, I've come to the conclusion that this might have been a hardware defect after all. That's not a perfect explanation, as the hardware test showed no problems with the hall sensor, but I havn't got a better one.

0 Likes
Solution
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

Ok, after the December Security Patch it happened again on my new S9. I wiped the cache partition and hope that this workaround will help. The question then would be : why isn't the cache partition wiped automatically after updates ?

0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@IreibeX wrote:

Ok, after the December Security Patch it happened again on my new S9. I wiped the cache partition and hope that this workaround will help. The question then would be : why isn't the cache partition wiped automatically after updates ?

Worked until 2 days ago ... maybe now it's the coming Android 10 updates that's causing the trouble ... I'll further report once I've done that.

0 Likes