Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does using a Samsung feels like a downgrade?

(Topic created on: 29-09-2023 11:46 PM)
Members_Ex2BioP
Student
Options

It's my first Samsung after using OnePlus for years. After using it for 2 days it feels like a huge downgrade in comparison:

- only the very limited samsung clock is working with next alarm showing on lockscreen. OnePlus supports every clock -> stupid workaround using a widget on home screen

- Headset battery status not showing in status bar -> no possibility to do that. Workaround another widget to clutter my homescreen or unlock the screen, doing longpress to open bluetooth setting every time I want to Quick check the battery status

- swipe back on keyboard open -> have to install another app that sometimes stopps working and showing errors

- no customizable gestures on lock screen. OnePlus offers gestures like V or O to open a customizable app like flashlight or camera without turning the screen on. Yes I know about the App shortcuts in the corners.

- WhatsApp(messenger?) popups are very short and tiny and hard to read. 

Is there any way to re-implement the missing features somehow and please not with more widgets?

I'm honestly thinking about giving the phone back because using it feels so limited and kind of crippled. 😞

10 REPLIES 10
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Members_Ex2BioP 

If the built in customisation options are not providing what you'd like then perhaps look at options such as Goodlock and it's various plug-ins and launchers such as Nova Prime which may provide the customisation of choice. 

You could also send your feedback via your Samsung Members App 👍

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

GusB
Big Cheese
Options
For message notifications, change from brief to detailed which might give you what you're after.Screenshot_20230930_071157_Settings.jpg
davehorne
Troubleshooter
Options

I have to second what BandOfBrothers said of GoodLock, the suite of customizations suites offered by Samsung in their Galaxy Store.

There are 19 separate modules in GoodLock.  Give it a look and you might change your mind. 

Watch4 Classic
Galaxy S24 Ultra / 512 GB / Microsoft Launcher / Spigen Thin Fit case
0 Likes
davehorne
Troubleshooter
Options

You mentioned you know about the app Shortcuts in the corners of the lockscreen, and while this doesn't solve your flashlight issue, you can have up to six apps to open on your lock screen.

You can also assign a gesture under One hand operation to turn on a flashlight, but that still doesn't solve your issue. 

Using GoodLock and the Lockstar module, you can access up to six different apps without necessarily having to open your  phone, this depends on the app in question.

I double tap the phone or pick it up to wake it up, and then I see the screen in the first photo.

I simply tap on that bottom right icon.

Screenshot_20230930_131609_Microsoft Launcher.jpg

Screenshot_20230930_131613_Microsoft Launcher.jpg

Watch4 Classic
0 Likes
davehorne
Troubleshooter
Options

I don't think you have wireless charging with your OnePlus, that alone for me would be a step down.  I have wireless charging stations throughout my house, I never use a cable.   

Everyone has their own border.  

Watch4 Classic
0 Likes
Josh50052
Pathfinder
Options
I have to ask why ? samsungs wireless charging is meh. even iphones have better wireless charging with next to no heat. however one plus wire charge does a full days worth of charge in 15 mins . my redmagic will play 120fps intensive gaming for 4 hours on a 30 mins charge. granted yes i do have to reach for a wire . but I also in 3 minutes go from 20% to 50% enough if I'm just popping out for a bit.
Josh50052
Pathfinder
Options
alot of these hidden features are defaults that samsung has hidden. you can use activity launcher to find many of these but you'll want to research the names of the files. samsung in their defense used to have custom tasks by drawing images on the screen back in the days of tocco light gt s5230 . but they stopped with it. imo its a gimmick you can use macro droid to make custom triggers to do practically anything. ie when you shake your phone , if the screen is off in advance and then after shaking is placed face up on a table to enter device password , grab weather for the day and text it to a friend. i mean you can literally make it do anything you like. including swipes and different tasks depending on anything you can imagine from wifi network to gps to time of day . this is probably your best solution. alternatively go and find a one plus imitation launcher. as for headphone battery imo this can be done with a custome notification app. macro droid might be able to add a permanent notification to the draw with updated battery info periodically but i think some apps can do this for you.
0 Likes
PlantPot
Pioneer
Options
At least its a quality product. I'll never buy a cheap piece of one plus junk again. Worst phone I ever owned. Factory reset required every time a new release came out. Awful.
0 Likes
chickie
First Poster
Options
I upgraded to Samsung 24plus I hate it to me I thought they made a mistake and gave me a iPhone but no it was my Samsung I hate it transfered everything over to my new phone and I hate it don't like the big widgets things on my screen all big horrible I am sending it back so I put all my stuff back on my Samsung 23 plus opened my old phone and to my shock they had all came back with the very same widgets on it so I'm sitting with my Samsung old phone and I cant get things I'm looking for I'm sending the new one back and now my phone that I liked has turned into the Samsung 24 plus how can I get my phone to go back to my old widgets and other things help
0 Likes