Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Upgrade Program Klarna Decline

(Topic created on: 04-02-2023 05:15 PM)
ShadowTriad
Journeyman
Options

Hi Everyone,

I'm here to join the plethora of people that have also been denied yet AGAIN this year on their upgrade program, I'm just writing this hopefully stockpile information + advice for the countless others in the same situation.

So like most people, I have been on the upgrade program for numerous years (I think I started with the Note 9 series) and did not have a problem upgrading until it was time to upgrade from my Note 10 (after Klarna took over Close Brothers). I did eventually manage to get this upgrade but WAY after the next phone released.

Like many others, my credit score is completely healthy for both Transunion and Experian and I have never missed a payment for anything including Klarna; in fact I had 2 simultaneous loans from Klarna at one point each being paid off monthly with no problems. Yet on their website they say that I have 'exceeded my spending limit' which I know is a fad as it would have exceeded when I had 2 loans going on with them previously (I now only have the one loan ongoing for my S22 Ultra). I called up Klarna for further information (pointless I know) and all they said is they denied it from the information they got from my credit reports. I know this is bogus since I had the same fiasco last time, and it still got approved after some time. 

My Transunion credit report also shows I've had multiple checks on my credit file by Klarna every time I tried to get the upgrade this time around, with the purpose labelled as 'Anti-money laundering'. Can someone clarify if this is a hard check or soft check, hopefully it is just multiple soft checks or I'm going to have to call up Transunion too.

Anyways back to the matter at hand, what things did people do in the previous years + this year that managed to get them to get accepted rather than denied? Last time I had this problem, after a month or two I tried the process using  the Samsung Internet mobile app instead of using my laptop with Chrome/Edge and that seemed to work for some reason, but this year to no avail. I've seen some things from last years fiasco that people used a different mobile number but that still didn't work for me either. I've also seen people mention making an early payment; my next payment is actually due tomorrow (5th February 2023) so maybe I'll try reapply once that's gone through, although I think I've read some people managing to get approved even before their next payment so not sure how reliable that is?

I apologise for the lengthy article, just wanted to compile as much information as I could provide. I know a lot of people have said this but honestly if I can't get the upgrade this year I'll probably be done with Samsung after I pay off the S22 Ultra and move onto Apple next. I really wish we could just pay Samsung directly via direct debit or that they'd just swap away from Klarna (I think Apple use Barclays for their upgrade program), they've been nothing but a headache since they took over and the countless threads about this shows. Anyways, thank you for anyone that does reply with advice :).

1 REPLY 1
Helen14
Pathfinder
Options
I have never had an issue until this year when I got the "outstanding or missed payment" message. I tried making an early payment but was still declined.

I am waiting to hear back from klarna complaint department but while looking through klarna app I found the financial overview screen while shows budget and that I owed £800 out of 1800. The £800 is my samsung s22 ultra but I think the £1800 is my allowed spend so i am right I would never be accepted unless I paid a large amount off the S22 ultra which I didn't want to do and then upgrade and send it back.

Decided to pay off klarna and then order a S23 ultra using PayPal credit which went through with no issues.

I have always said the only thing I miss about apple/iPhone is the customer service. Their preorders used to be so straightforward and easy.
0 Likes