Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung 23 battery draining and phone gets hot

(Topic created on: 2 weeks ago)
Micael-1
Journeyman
Options

Samsung made two updates to the S23 in May 2024.

First update, battery went from lasting 3 days to be charged twice daily.

Second update the phone gets hot beside the camaras on regular use.

I decided to leave iOS for Android but clearly bought from the wrong manufacturer.

I assume a fix will come, if not then this phone was just a waste of money.

0 Likes
30 REPLIES 30
Tourbillon De La Vie
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

sounds like unique usage for it to last 3 days on single charge. That said hopefully there will be some fixes to prolong the battery life. But for a real change i guess we'll have to wait till Android 15

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

HI @Micael-1  Did you clear the clear the cache partition as this is recommended after updates, at times some apps/themes are not initially  fully optimised for the new software.

There  can be  a bit of Battery Drain after updates though sounds like it is more excessive. 

some other optimisation techniques here,though may not particularly wish to use all of them for the best experience   https://www.techradar.com/phones/these-3-tips-to-extend-your-galaxy-s23-battery-life-are-so-hidden-w...      The Device can get hot when using power intemsive applications, downloading large files  and using a lot of Data for syncing for instance.  However is this noticeably different?

Whilst can be a bit of  a hassle sometimes necessary to  do a Factory Reset after backing up , may best to restore  from cloud, may need to install some apps afresh.

However if the drain is still significant  two weeks after last update after Troubleshooting  advisable  to send an Error Report.   Go To Samsung Members -Get help -Error report. include the error logs plus details of the issues , and screenshots of the battery usage (Settings -Battery and device care - Battery).

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Micael-1
Journeyman
Options

Apologies I stretched out a bit, indeed a light user only charing it every couple of days. Will await for the update. Thanks for responding.

0 Likes
Micael-1
Journeyman
Options

Thank you for the help. I will follow these suggestions. Annoying that one has to do this after an update. Should be somehow without issues. I assume this is a well known issue then.

BrianM26
Journeyman
Options

I have the same issue on S23, One UI version 6.1, Android version 14.  The phone gets extremely hot, battery drains with no apps on, and in airplane mode.  It even drained yesterday while shut down and plugged in to PC via USB. (so I could prompt the charge level on display) I've cleared cache, disabled the new "AI" items, and followed all other steps. It's definitely is the update that is overworking the processor in some way.

Jishnu kurunthil
Apprentice
Options

I bought a new s23 and immediately don the 14 update. I facing serious battery issue it drain about 2% battery in 1 hour screen off time aod, data double tap all everything is off. Service person says it's normal if it's normal i successfully waisted 2500 aed.  And you guys all facing this issue or its only on my particular device 

0 Likes
Micael-1
Journeyman
Options

I followed the steps suggested. Cache partition didn't resolve the problem and I don't want to reset my phone as it takes a day to configure it all, plus backups a hassle.

Android 15 should be coming soon, let's see what it does when samsung releases their update couple of months after.

Micael-1
Journeyman
Options

Did it solve the issue in your case? Mine still has the temperature and battery issue. Don't want to do a full reset as it is a lot of work. Additionally i should have to. Samsung should just have better software for their phones. 

BrianM26
Journeyman
Options

@Micael-1 wrote:

Did it solve the issue in your case? Mine still has the temperature and battery issue. Don't want to do a full reset as it is a lot of work. Additionally i should have to. Samsung should just have better software for their phones. 

I did the full reset, and wouldn't you know it... backup failed and I have to restore everything manually.  Overheating issue still persists.  Another thing to note: it drains about 20% battery per hour, with no apps open, nor in background.  Battery/App usage doesn't show what is draining it.  I can't go for months with my phone turned off to keep from burning my leg.  Really not sure what to do at this point.

0 Likes