Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People distorted around edges of photos - S23 Ultra main camera

(Topic created on: 06-05-2023 01:26 AM)
OzJamie
Apprentice
Options

Whenever group photos are taken using my phone, the people around the edges are stretched. Alternatively, if you try to position your subject towards one side of the photo, they are stretched. The photos look so bad I can't use them for anything. I'm now missing capturing memories.

I have actually gone back to using my S10 Plus for group photos (when I'm at my house and have it handy) so that people look natural and non-stretched.

Everyone keeps talking about how good the S23 ultra camera is. Is there some setting I need to change to prevent image distortion? (I'm not a professional photographer by any means... and just want a good point and shoot group photo.)

Thanks for your help!

12 REPLIES 12
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
This is typical of wide angle lenses. The wider the lens, the greater the distortion. I don't know the difference between the lenses in the S10 v S23 but clearly there is some.
This doesn't happen in portrait or zoom modes.
Trig007
Apprentice
Options

Noticed this today when I took a photo indoors and someone walked in to shot, the lower half of body was stretched, but sure I wasn't using the ultra wide lens, switched over from a OnePlus Pro 7 and took majority of pictures with ultra wide lens, never had this issue before. Effect is just weird. Samsung needs to fix or it's going to just ruin photos 

OzJamie
Apprentice
Options

The main lens is great for photos of landscapes. However, it can't take photos of groups of people without distorting them. The 3x lens can't handle it either as it's too close up. They need to fix this!

OzJamie
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for your input. Agree, it doesn't happen in Portrait and zoom modes. However, I can't take the group photos I want in those modes. I'm seriously regretting buying this phone now!

Dukesco
First Poster
Options

Totally agree. I tries to post a similar review a couple of years ago and Samsung would not post it. It a super expensive phone to not be able to have a decent camera that doesn't distort thing. People look like a horror scene in magic mirrors. Perfectly round buoys look pear shaped. Does Samsum have an app to correct this?

OzJamie
Apprentice
Options

After reading more on the forums, I can see the issue actually dates back to the S21 ultra.
Samsung21 ultra camera stretched photos - Samsung Community

I'm really surprised such a major issue isn't mentioned in all the phone review articles on tech websites. They all seem to be focused on the ability to take photos of the moon and the 10x zoom lens. All of that is nice, but if you can't take photos of people... it's all just a bit of a joke!

0 Likes
MPI24
First Poster
Options

I wonder why Samsung hasn't done anything about this. The distortion is unflattering. Why mess up such good phone camera with this age long defect. 

0 Likes
Cassidy007
Samsung Members Star ★★★
Options

Hi @MPI24 ,

My first answer would be to suggest you to back up enough to be sure than you take a picture of the group larger than you are normally did with your S10 and take the picture in Landscape Mode with the 1X lens and the 50MP sensor. This will help you to make a better picture that you can crop if necessary..

I also suggest you to read the following article about what you need to know about Wide and Ultra Wide Lens here : https://www.adobe.com/uk/creativecloud/photography/discover/wide-angle-lens.html

I'd like to see your pictures (erase the faces of the people if you want) and let me see  the EXIF to see which lens were used etc..

Also, you can read some of my articles here (you will found one about distorsion..) https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/photography-talk/reorganization-of-my-articles-in-photography-ta...

The distorsion start to be visible on all lens of less than 35mm even if it's a top lens of any brands...The distance with the subject is the key to get better results and you need to respect that.

I will try to find you a better article about distorson this week-end...

Vous aimez la photographie ? Si OUI, cliquez ici : https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/parlons-photographie/bd-p/photo-club-forum-fr
You like photography , if YES, Click here : https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/photography-talk/bd-p/photo-club-forum-uk
0 Likes
Mfahadshah
Apprentice
Options

Thankfully i found your post after posting it myself and getting no solutions. All that works for me is the Remaster feature in Samsung gallery. Did you find any better solution? 

0 Likes