Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S23 Ultra and Android Auto - No Longer Working since latest update (or previous one)

(Topic created on: 10-08-2023 05:40 AM)
HowardH
Apprentice
Options

I'm going to add to the mounting complaints about Android Auto no longer working on the Galaxy S23.  A couple of months ago (May/June time frame), Android Auto worked (most of the time) on my S23 Ultra.  Then, all of a sudden, it wouldn't work at all.  I have a 2018 Honda Accord, which I haven't seen on any message boards as having issues, so I'm bringing it up to expand the scope of cars that are having issues.  Could it be because of an update?

I've read other complaints, and searched the internet for solutions, and have tried almost all the obvious solutions, but have concluded that there's an underlying issue which is preventing the phone from working with the software in the car.  I'm convinced it's not a connection issue, since I've confirmed that the phone is connected to the car, both via USB connection and wireless, which both are required for Android Auto to work on the Honda Accord. As far as I know, the car doesn't have the capability to run Android Auto strictly on a wireless connection.  I can verify on the car's program/screen that the phone is connected and charging.  I can make calls, and the voice switches to the car's speakers.  No issues with connecting via the bluetooth any longer.  Everything seems to work except for Android Auto.

The phone has Android Version 13, Build No.TP1A.220624.014.S918USQS1AWFD. Security Patch level: July 1, 2023.  The Android Auto program/app on the phone is: Version 10.0.632824-release.

I wish I could upload pictures of my car's screen showing the connection information of the S23 Ultra.

When I open Android Auto on the phone, while connected to the car, it shows that there's a connection to a "Honda".  So for some reason, the Android Auto program knows that it's connected to the car, but the car doesn't open the program on its screen, as it did before (when things were working).  And prior to the zero-connection issue, once I plugged in the phone to the car, I could no longer open Google Maps on the phone.  Even when certain times that the Android Auto program wouldn't load on the car's screen, Google Maps would not open.  Now, Google Maps opens all the time, even though the phone is plugged into the car (via USB).

So there's really no error message that pops up, the Android Auto program just doesn't open on the car.

I mentioned earlier that prior to two months ago, Android Auto worked "most of the time".  Back then, I had issues with the phone not connecting via bluetooth.  Back then, I would get an error message, shortly after plugging in the phone via USB, saying that the bluetooth connection failed.  And the car would lose USB connection often, wouldn't remember the phone, even after "manually" connecting the phone to the car by going through the connection process that the car's program has.  So even right after purchasing the S23, I had intermittent issues with Android Auto working on the Honda Accord.  I had a Galaxy S9+ prior to the S23 Ultra, and it worked ALL THE TIME, no issues at all in my 2018 Honda Accord.

If anyone can confirm that purchasing a certain USB cable would resolve this issue, please let me know.  I have seen that certain adapter cables would work, but cost between $60 - $90!  Ugh.

Hopefully, with enough complaints, Samsung will work harder to resolve this huge issue!

6 REPLIES 6
busterbrock
Voyager
Options
I have a S23+ with the latest version of Android Auto driving a 23 plate Nissan Juke Tekna & have had no issues ... Try uninstalling the app then reinstalling, it might work as it's worked for me in the past when I had issues 😁😁
keith30
Maestro
Options
I don't know why people bother with that app it never works the way it should, you just have to read all the posts on here about the connection problems people are having.
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
As @keith30 stated AA is riddled with bugs and has been for a long time. There's nothing Samsung or any other manufacturers can fix as it's Google's intellectual property.
There is a support site here https://support.google.com/androidauto/community?hl=en
HowardH
Apprentice
Options

Thanks Busterbrock, will give it a shot.  Shoulda thought about that earlier!

HowardH
Apprentice
Options

Thank Pugs1957, that link will be helpful to search (and further reach more people about my issue).

HowardH
Apprentice
Options

Okay, my issue has been resolved!  I'm not sure if reinstalling Android Auto was the solution, but performing the "reinstall" actually reminded me that I had installed another app, in addition to Android Auto, called "Android Auto for Car Screens", which was an app in Google Play that I needed to install in order to make Android Auto work using the S23 Ultra.  Funny, that app is no longer on Google Play, couldn't find it at all.  So I uninstalled that app first, then discovered that I couldn't uninstall Android Auto from the S23 Ultra.  There are only two options in the app, one is to disable, and the other is to Force Stop.  Weird.  The other weird thing that happened was after I uninstalled the Android Auto for Car Screens app, the icon for Android Auto disappeared, and it looked as though Android Auto was no longer operational.  That app may have become the main source of Android Auto after it was installed.  Anyway, I was able to install Android Auto from Google Play, and gave it a shot today.  At first, it was the same issue, the car system recognized the phone, but didn't start Android Auto.  After fussing around with the settings on the car's entertainment system, I realized that it "disabled" my phone!  The car's screen pointed out that the S23 Ultra is disabled. It gave me the option of enabling it, so I did, and then the phone reacted by opening the android auto screen and asking if I wanted to connect to the car.  There were a couple more options to select, and then Android Auto came up on my car screen.  Unreal.  I searched online and found a YouTube video from a guy who had the same issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JuiG7S3cMA

It was my bad to only focus on the phone as being the issue, and not the Honda or the Android Auto app itself.  But you gotta admit, if my old phone worked flawlessly on the same car and the same app, it's reasonable to assume it's the new device that's the issue.  Thank you to all who suggested resolutions.  I'm hoping this post helps others.  Thanks again!