Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S23 No updates since June 2023

(Topic created on: 06-05-2024 05:28 PM)
Members_4JOqA4y
Explorer
Options

I bought a new Samsung Galaxy S23 5G Dual SIM Android Mobile Phone on 31 May 2023 from Amazon UK Prime.  The last security update on this mobile was June 2023. It is still Android version 13 in settings there is an exclamation mark next to updates/Security Update 1 June 2023 but when I click updates there is a message 'Your software is up to date - Security Patch Level 1 June 2023'.  I am completely unable to update this phone to the later Android 14 or apply more recent version 13 Security updates.  I have tried all the suggestions online including safe mode, using the Samsung Smart Switch Software.  I even tried factory resetting my phone and restarting from scratch but even that hasn't worked!

Please can you confirm how I apply the latest security updates and upgrade this mobile to Android 14?  I am concerned this phone is not receiving any security updates and I am completely unable to rectify this problem.  

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18
OmegaMutant
Voyager
Options
Could you go into below and post a screenshot showing the info (see my uploaded image of what we need to see)

Settings > About Phone > Software Information

I suspect, just from what you've said, that it may have been an imported phone from a different region and not a UK model which can impact getting updates. 1715015891933.jpg
Members_4JOqA4y
Explorer
Options

Thank you for your reply @OmegaMutant  - this is the screenshot of the Service Provider Software Version:  

Members_4JOqA4y_0-1715016659792.png

The phone was bought from Amazon UK and not a third-party supplier on Amazon. Can you tell from the screenshot if it is a UK model phone?

0 Likes
Robin999
Maestro
Options
PLS = Poland. Get your money back.
TechZilla
Troubleshooter
Options
You won't get updates as this is a Polish handset, was it brand new from Amazon? What region did the listing say the phone was from?
OmegaMutant
Voyager
Options
Deffo check the listing on Amazon to see if it mentions the region at all - as TechZilla said, you're not going to get updates due to it being a Polish handset.

Always be careful when purchasing on sites like Amazon, eBay etc. As they do sell models from different regions and some may not advertise that fact.

Always recommend buying from retailers like Samsung direct, phone network etc.
Piper123
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Hey there

As it is an EUX model (European) this should get updates as long as you are in the UK or EU.

Have you tried to connect the device to SmartSwitch to see if any updates can be pulled through that way?

If that doesn't work, then agree you need to raise this with Amazon but as you bought it 10 months plus ago........
Members_4JOqA4y
Explorer
Options

Thank you for all your replies it's very helpful and has been an eye-opener.

The phone was brand new and boxed from Amazon but over 10 months ago - I am concerned as I bought two S23s a month apart and I now notice that the second one is from a third-party reseller but on the Amazon, Prime website I didn't notice at the time because it said Amazon Prime and had a link to the Samsung UK Amazon store and looked just like the web page I brought the previous one from. Looking at my Amazon history it's described as This device is globally unlocked and ready to be used with your preferred Carrier. SIM CARD NOT INCLUDED.  

Have I brought a brick? Is there anything I can do? I was planning to visit the Samsung store in London, Kings Cross one day next week.

0 Likes
Members_4JOqA4y
Explorer
Options

Thank you @Piper123 I have tried SmartSwitch it reports that my phone is up to date!

Members_4JOqA4y_0-1715018566590.png

0 Likes
TechZilla
Troubleshooter
Options
Have you tried changing the region on your phone to Poland? Or used a VPN to try and trick your phone into thinking it's in Poland? I know with models in China that sellers have to activate the handset by using a Chinese simcard in the phone first and then shipping it once it is activated.