Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme Lags on S23 Ultra

(Topic created on: 02-01-2024 07:33 PM)
Members_shNeZEC
Apprentice
Options

For a couple of weeks now, I experience extreme lags on my S23 Ultra. Quite often (without me being able to identify a pattern), my screen will not turn on for 5-10 seconds after pressing the power button. I already feared the button itself broke until I noticed that the screen would eventually turn on after some time

In some cases, I also experience such lags when swiping down to open the quick access / notification panel. Nothing happens until 5-10 seconds later the panel appears.

I have the latest OS/OneUI versions installed. I reset the device completely, yet ran into the issue once again. Everything about this feels like a software (incompatibility) issue where things are happening in the background before the screen reacts. Is there anyway I could find some logs or similar to look into what's happening on the phone in these situations?

I need to point out that it does not happen all the time I unlock the phone. More often than not it happens after not using the phone for some minutes, but even this I did not manage to clearly understand - it simply happens often enough to render the phone unusable in some situation. I do however not have any performance issues apart from this. Otherwise the phone runs very smoothly.

I am thankful for any idea. I would like to avoid sending in the phone since I've just gone through the hassle of setting up everything again.

16 REPLIES 16
neils31
Pioneer
Options
Mines never been as snappy as it is. All latest updates installed.
rogersdave77
Troubleshooter
Options
Have you wiped the phones partition cache recently?
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

As indicated Wiping the cache partition can help with lags and is advisable after updates, a number   of cache files may be unnecessary or in some cases corrupted.  if not performed recently follow these steps:

1. Turn off the device.
2. Connect To Computer or plug in USB-C Headphones , Press and hold the Volume Up key and then press and hold the Power key
3. When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
4. Wait until the Android system recovery menu options appear.
5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
6. Press Power key to select.
7. Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
8. When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
9. Press the Power key to restart the device.

Can also repair Apps from the same Recovery Menu.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Members_shNeZEC
Apprentice
Options

Yes, I did that even before resetting it completely. Didn't help unfortunately. 

0 Likes
Bigtasty65
Hotshot
Options
Definitely perform a cache partition wipe. I've never had a phone take 5-10 seconds to wake up after pressing the power button.
Do you have a virus/security app installed?
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
How much free space do you have?
0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

As a troubleshooting step can you put the phone into Safe Mode > Safe Mode  > https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-to-start-my-galaxy-device-in-safe-mode/ turns off downloaded apps and themes etc which may highlight an app or theme that's causing conflict. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
davehorne
Troubleshooter
Options

I have nothing new to add ... the suggestion abut wiping the cache and the question regarding the free space in your storage are my first thoughts.

I'd like to know if you wiped the cache and it that made a difference; also, what's your free storage space situation?  

A lot of us follow these posts and if anything makes a difference, it would be good for everyone else to read about it here.

Watch4 Classic
Galaxy S24 Ultra / 512 GB / Microsoft Launcher / Spigen Thin Fit case
0 Likes
Members_shNeZEC
Apprentice
Options

Sorry for the late reply.

So, storage cannot be the issue, I use like 20% of the storage available.

Scanned the device with a common antivirus app, found nothing.

Now, to the interesting part. I performed a cache partition wipe and the option "Repair Apps" in the recovery menu. This solved the issue for a day, before it returned. I did the same again now and will see whether performance will improve again. If the scenario repeats itself, I will try to perform the actions separately to see which one is effective if it's not both in combination.

Many thanks for the suggestions so far.

0 Likes