Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing front camera

(Topic created on: 01-02-2023 09:59 PM)
Snapper99
Voyager
Options
Seems the front camera on the S23 Ultra downgrade to 12MP from the S22 Ultra's 40MP

Hopefully the software will kind of balance things out and there will be no reduction in the photo quality and sharpness? 

I use the one on my S22 Ultra a lot for getting photos in those awkward spots in electrical switchgear and feeder pillars.

Current Phone S23 Ultra (1TB)
16 REPLIES 16
GusB
Big Cheese
Options
It's certainly less MP's but will have to wait and see what the output is like... Despite being excited about the rear 200mp sensor...MP's aren't everything..

Apple stayed with a 12mp sensor until only recently for their primary rear camera remember....
0 Likes
InsanityGaming
Pioneer
Options

yeah, if you think MP's mean anything you're 100% not that well educated on anything camera related, the sensor size, iso, exposure metering and other stuff matters too... smaller sensors are bad.. my Nikon D4s.. has 16.2MP.... guess what? it's better quality than a 200MP phone camera.....

No phones not for a bunch more decades will be able to replace  dslrs and video cameras.

GusB
Big Cheese
Options
Can't replace physics and proper optics!
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
It's actually really handy for that and I do the same thing with my camera 😂
To be honest, I don't think it will make much difference. Software will be most of what the camera is all about.
Results will see. But I think even though its a smaller megapixel sensor. Think it's got some magic Software to go with it
InsanityGaming
Pioneer
Options

Exactly :smiling-face: sure phones are great, but when I'm out and about and going places, I think and laugh inside my head seeing these people taking pictures with a phone, they can afford a £1000+ phone but can't afford a decent DSLR from 600£+.. XD

It's like you go to a theme park, a forest, a nature reserve, a zoo, or somewhere beautiful even on holiday, and they ruin pictures by using a phone. XD

I have a bunch of lenses, and DSLRs, in my boot just incase I ever need a picture :smiling-face: everything fully insured from theft and accidental damage and more

0 Likes
Rajsahab
Helping Hand
Options
I have placed an order for galaxy S23 ultra, coming on 13th Feb. Hopefully it will be better than the S22 ultra
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
It's better 😌
0 Likes
T_C
Pioneer
Options
Still no 8k front camera video maybe on the S24, and I think while the pictures will probably look good, if you zoom in on the pictures after taking them you're gonna notice a difference between 12mp and 40mp
0 Likes
Snapper99
Voyager
Options
Aye, for me the good stuff I had in the 70's is at home in the attic now and the wet film is hard to get these days too. As for the chemicals to develop the film later...

For what I want it for the modern phone with a decent camera is perfect, key points
Does it fit in my pocket? Yes.
Can I stand about 3m away from an open electrical distribution feeder pillar, and get a good enough picture that I can zoom in on later and read the circuit labels AND manufactures data plate? Yes.
Is it thin enough and has a decent enough front camera that I can put that on to see the picture on the screen, then 'poke' the thing into gaps to get a photo of the insides of equipment while also seeing on the screen (used for inspection purposes)? Yes, (your not jamming an SLR in there... )
Can I then write the report on the phone (MS Word App), attach photo's and send the report straight to the client/office within ten to fifteen minutes of locking the pillar back up? Yes.
Can I ring someone up on it? Yes.
Do emails? Yes.

Works for me then, it'll pay for itself within a week if not less.

Current Phone S23 Ultra (1TB)