Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging error when flat

(Topic created on: 05-10-2023 11:33 PM)
Plague_D7
Journeyman
Options
Hi guys, i have a current issue whilst charging my S22 Ultra.

The problem only occurs when the battery is completely dead. I plug it in.. the charging circle appears, with the little electric bolt in the middle.... and it just stays like that..

i can leave the charger plugged in... so far the longest has been 15 mins.... and "eventually".... it then indicates 0% and starts charing as normal.

If my phone has any charge in it at all, anything above 0%, it will start charging automatically with no issue.... I have tried multiple chargers and leads, and it is alwasy the same outcome... 

atm im afraid to let my phone die.... can this be fixed? or does it need to go in for repairs?

Many thanks! 
Plague
0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Josh50052
Pathfinder
Options
I've not seen heard of this before with the s22 range however i have heard of this back in the day with the s4 range. iirc the issue was by default the phone was programmed with a true 0% . basically when your phone shows 0% it actually has a good 2-3% remaining. this is by design so that it powers off . same thing as turning a pc off by unplugging or pressing shutdown in the ui. essentially it reserves some battery for shutdown and processes. the fix is to let it run empty. turn it on and keep turning it on until it won't no more. then charge it to 100% and then re do this charge to 100% and let it discharge to 0% . this should clear the battery files and recalibrate the battery. meaning when it gets plugged in it immediately starts going from 0 to 100. instead of -5 to 100. some apps can fix this

battery calibration apps will delete the file and tell you when to plug in and unplug...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=be.fpmiguel.batterycalibration

this app clears battery files. this is the one recommended by XDA . ignor the bad reviews it's people that don't understand what its supposed to do. it does have a lot of showmanship lol but essentially what it does is delete a file and tell you to charge and discharge . hope this helps

View solution in context

15 REPLIES 15
Blueicey
First Poster
Options
I am having the same issue with my s22+
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I would suggest to not let your phone go below 15% @Plague_D7 

Letting the phone's battery go completely flat can sometimes cause issues. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

Solution
Josh50052
Pathfinder
Options
I've not seen heard of this before with the s22 range however i have heard of this back in the day with the s4 range. iirc the issue was by default the phone was programmed with a true 0% . basically when your phone shows 0% it actually has a good 2-3% remaining. this is by design so that it powers off . same thing as turning a pc off by unplugging or pressing shutdown in the ui. essentially it reserves some battery for shutdown and processes. the fix is to let it run empty. turn it on and keep turning it on until it won't no more. then charge it to 100% and then re do this charge to 100% and let it discharge to 0% . this should clear the battery files and recalibrate the battery. meaning when it gets plugged in it immediately starts going from 0 to 100. instead of -5 to 100. some apps can fix this

battery calibration apps will delete the file and tell you when to plug in and unplug...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=be.fpmiguel.batterycalibration

this app clears battery files. this is the one recommended by XDA . ignor the bad reviews it's people that don't understand what its supposed to do. it does have a lot of showmanship lol but essentially what it does is delete a file and tell you to charge and discharge . hope this helps
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
The answer is not to leave your battery fully discharge. The behaviour of your device is normal.
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Lithium-ion batteries are not designed to be completely discharged and if you do this even on a semi regular basis it will reduce the lifespan of the Battery .  Whilst there is a school of thought that you should calibrate the Battery  occasionally it is not a technique I favour, should not be done very often in any case.   There is a increased pressure on the Battery once it has depleted to 10% and I think best practice is to charge once it is in the 15-20% range if possible.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Plague_D7
Journeyman
Options
Hi Josh50052.

This seems to have done the trick! I did have to try a different battry calibration app, as your linked app is not dated for the S22. but after fully calibrating my phones battery. i let it drain once again to 0%. i plugged it in, and it indicated that it was charging properly almost instantly!

So im glad it was just a battery calibration/scale issue. and thank you for your reply as it helped!

All the best to you!
Plague!
Plague_D7
Journeyman
Options
Please refer to Josh50052 as it was a battery calibration issue and was not normal device behaviour.

but yes. i will take on the advice to not let my battery drain to 0% often.

Cheers
Plague
Plague_D7
Journeyman
Options
Thank you for that info! i will defo aim to not let my phone drop to lower then 20% if i can. I hear its good to let it fully discharge maybe 3 or 4 times a year. but thats up for debate.

It was a calibration issue in the end. I wont be doing it often. but after calibrating it at 100%, then letting it fully drain. it now charges as soon as its plugged in, (i then let it fully charge whilst the phone was off).

Cheers
plague
0 Likes
Plague_D7
Journeyman
Options
Hi Blueicey!

Please refer to Josh50052's answer as it has fixed my issue.

All the best
Plague
0 Likes