Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 13 Update. Numerous issues resolved when I re-enabled Facebook app!

(Topic created on: 13-12-2022 11:29 AM)
NorthernMammoth
Explorer
Options
Since the Android 13 update I've had regular overnight restarts, Samsung editing software randomly working, OTG/Memory stick being recognised as a charger, and  camera sometimes not working, and overheating phone. I've always had Facebook disabled as I don't use it, but everything works now (long story) as I've re- enabled it?!
0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Facebook I'd a very intrusive application that needs various plugins etc to work.
So it's highly likely some background process of Facebook can cause problems
If you don't use it then it's best to delete it from the phone.
I think even if you are not using the app it's still using memory and battery life.
Some people delete the app and all its plug in etc. Then just use the Website to access it.
It's a resource hogs really and using the website stops the extra battery life etc being used
0 Likes
NorthernMammoth
Explorer
Options
It's is intrusive. The problem is its one of those apps I can't delete from my phone, only disable or force stop. Which is what I've done since I got the S20. I only got suspicious of Facebook as another thread mentioned Instagram being a problem which I do use. Disabling Instagram did help to some degree but the phone only worked best when both were enabled and updated. It's looking like if I don't allow full monitoring by Meta, I'll have to have an unreliable phone!
0 Likes
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
You would probably benefit from the cleaning of the Partition Cache

It's a quick simple process that can help a lot

Wiping cache partition fixes some of the bugs and improve performance by removing unwanted cache files.

Turn off your phone.

Connect your phone with a USB cable
to PC or another Samsung mobile

You will see the charging icon on your screen.
Wait till it shows charging with battery percentage.

Next, press and hold the Volume up and Side key simultaneously.
You can press the volume up button just before the Side key.
The Samsung Logo followed by
Samsung Galaxy appears on the
screen.

At this point, release the keys
Phone will boot into Android Recovery mode

In Android recovery mode, using Volume keys, choose "Wipe Cache
Partition" .

Then press Side Key to Confirm by selecting "Yes" and then press Side Key

You get "cache wipe complete" at the
bottom of the screen
Restart the phone to complete the
process
0 Likes
NorthernMammoth
Explorer
Options
Thank you for that detailed reply Glenn. I'll do that a bit later. I'll try anything to avoid a full reset! Much appreciated!
0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@NorthernMammoth  The Meta apps  can be a Battery hog(admittedly I do use them moderately) though  think not as bad as Tiktok's app  which I have never installed.  Even if working ok at the moment  giving access this really is not a long term fix for these issues and proper maintenance is required.   As @Glenntech  suggests clearing the cache partition helps as this deletes the temporary files whilst leaving your Data intact. It is also advisable to repair Apps periodically (and particularly when you have issues)  from the same Recovery Menu. It is also necessary to ensure you have the latest updates from both the Galaxy and Google stores.

some information on the Recovery Mode for anyone not familiar  in the article

https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-use-android-recovery-mode/ 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

NorthernMammoth
Explorer
Options
That's great. Thank you too for the advice. I deleted tiktok a few weeks ago as I heard it had some invasive terms and conditions! I'll keep the apps up to date as you suggest and look into recovery mode. I've not heard of that one. But as you say, I shouldn't have to enable certain irrelevant apps for the phone to work. There has to be a fundamental reason.