Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Suggestion : make "no update available" message more verbose

(Topic created on: 18-02-2020 04:19 PM)
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

Having recently been involved in discussions around the question whether and why specific combinations of CSCs don't get updates, see

Galaxy-S10e-S10-S10-S10-5G/S10-Android-10-Not-Updating

Galaxy-S10e-S10-S10-S10-5G/S10-Android-10-not-getting-update

I would suggest that Samsung add a bit of verbosity to the message about the non-availability of updates. If there is no support for an existing combination of ( software components relating to ) CSCs, then the message should elaborate on that, so that the user knows that simply by waiting he won't succeed in getting an update. That might save a lot of trouble, misunderstandings and customer dissatisfaction and make the Samsung Android Cosmos a safer place.

@SE11  @Igsu  : I've taken your topics as examples for the issue.

@AntS  : could you bring that to the attention of the powers that be ?

14 REPLIES 14
AntS
Options

*ahem*

Hi guys. No need to be flinging custard pies. :winking-face:

@IreibeX , I've raised this as a suggestion for our R&D team. In relation to that, I've also asked them if we can get some clarity on the whole 'CSC impact on updates' matter. :thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

Solution
AntS
Options

Hi all,

I've received a reply.

Regarding your suggestion, @IreibeX , it seems as though the developers would have to fundamentally change the entire system to provide that kind of additional info to 'no update available' messaging - and they don't have any plans to do that.

(I agree it'd be really good if something like that could be implemented though. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:)

Regarding CSC impact on updates, I've been advised:

• CSC's for phones purchased from a carrier/network cannot be changed.
  • Changing the CSC for an open market phone can potentially affect receiving an update as update scenarios/rollouts are prepared for individual CSC's (to cater for differences in requirements, settings etc.)
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@AntS wrote:
  • CSC's for phones purchased from a carrier/network cannot be changed.
  • Changing the CSC for an open market phone can potentially affect receiving an update as update scenarios/rollouts are prepared for individual CSC's (to cater for differences in requirements, settings etc.)

@AntS: Thank you very much !

@SE11 @Igsu : So it is possible that your problems getting updates are due to a changed CSC .

@doesitmatter: Lets bury the hatchet, OK ? Should I have offended you in any way I hereby sincerely apologize.

Solution
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

So I followed the suggestion of a friendly person and had a look into the xda-forums :

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8+/help/ota-update-problem-oxm-csc-t3722169

"Yes i`ve solved it.
[...]
I did not get the updates because phone was bought from italy and when i inserted the romanian sim card, the firmware from italy was different from the firmware from romania."

0 Likes
Michael3739
Journeyman
Options

I have a TPA Galaxy A51 that has not received an update yet. If I live in the US will I be able to update if an update for that region comes out? It's unlocked with no sim card. 

0 Likes