Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Clear view cover stop working after January update One UI 2.0

(Topic created on: 12-01-2020 11:49 AM)
papillon-bleu
Apprentice
Options

Hello all and happy new year,

I bought 2 S10 on black friday with one clear view cover. Both phone were upgraded to one UI 2.0 directly out of the box (we start use them late in december).

Smartcover worked fine. After the january upgrade (yesterday), the cover is not detected. I don't have the accessory item on the parameter menu. I put the cover on the other S10, it was detected. I revert it back on the first S10, it was detected again for a couple of hours.

Now the cover doesn't works on any phone. It's like a chinese copy... Any ideas

NB : i tried to wipe the cache (no effect) and tested the hall detector using the #*0#* menu (it works perfectly)

15 REPLIES 15
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@papillon-bleu wrote:

Hello all and happy new year,

I bought 2 S10 on black friday with one clear view cover. Both phone were upgraded to one UI 2.0 directly out of the box (we start use them late in december).

Smartcover worked fine. After the january upgrade (yesterday), the cover is not detected. I don't have the accessory item on the parameter menu. I put the cover on the other S10, it was detected. I revert it back on the first S10, it was detected again for a couple of hours.

Now the cover doesn't works on any phone. It's like a chinese copy... Any ideas

NB : i tried to wipe the cache (no effect) and tested the hall detector using the #*0#* menu (it works perfectly)

See https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S9-S9/Clear-View-Standing-Cover-problems-after-booting-th...

Until two days ago I would have told you to wipe the cache partition ( not the app caches ). But now this workaround stopped working. I hope that it will get better after the Android 10 update.

0 Likes
papillon-bleu
Apprentice
Options
Hello, effectivly, i did the cache partition wiping. I am already using the last update of android 10. Should i wait 1 month for the next update ?
In the meantime i ordered another cover. it will help me to find if it it a cover problem or a software problem. I'll let you know.
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@papillon-bleu wrote:
Hello, effectivly, i did the cache partition wiping. I am already using the last update of android 10. Should i wait 1 month for the next update ?
In the meantime i ordered another cover. it will help me to find if it it a cover problem or a software problem. I'll let you know.

There's not much we can do besides waiting and hoping. There are some other workarounds like rebooting the phone while being connected to the charger, perhaps we can use these to mitigate. So far with my S9 once I get it to recognize the cover directly after boot it works until to the next restart.

0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@AntS   @CarlH   : could you perhaps inquire as to the status of this known error on Samsung side ? See also https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S9-S9/Clear-View-Standing-Cover-problems-after-booting-th... . There are several other topics dealing with this, this goes back to the introduction of Android 9. We had been hoping that perhaps Android 10 would finally fix this bug, but it seems to be alive and kicking. Occurs on both S9 / Android 9 and S10 / Android 10 .

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Hi @IreibeX ,

This was the reply to CarlH's escalation to our colleagues regarding your problems with the Clear View cover:

"Developers have found the source of the problem and now they are trying to fix it. However, they need to make sure that the changes made to the code, to get rid of the issue, will not cause other unexpected problems. Therefore, the update may take some time."

I've asked them today if there's any update on that situation. In the meantime, anyone else experiencing this please send error reports with log files as soon you can after noticing the issue... just in case there's other things going on that the developers should be aware of relating to this. 

Samsung Members > Get Help > Send Feedback > Error Reports > [select error type] > attach a description and tick ‘send system log data’ > Send.

(Or: Long-press the Samsung Members icon on the Apps screen, and select Error reports from the dropdown menu, etc.)

Solution
papillon-bleu
Apprentice
Options

New cover recieved today and problem solved !

So the cover was broken after only one month of use... I hope i was only unlucky and the new one will last for years...

have a good day.

IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@papillon-bleu wrote:

New cover recieved today and problem solved !

So the cover was broken after only one month of use... I hope i was only unlucky and the new one will last for years...

have a good day.

Could you try to change again, just for a test ? To make sure the old one is really broken. There are users who reported that they get the thing working simply by removing and reapplying the cover.

0 Likes
papillon-bleu
Apprentice
Options

Already tried dozens of times... And tried to apply it on 2 other S10. Never detected again...

As asked, i tried one last time -> not detected.

IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@papillon-bleu wrote:

Already tried dozens of times... And tried to apply it on 2 other S10. Never detected again...

As asked, i tried one last time -> not detected.

Thank you very much ! So this is interesting : you test the Hall-Sensors with *#0*#, they work, and yet the cover is broken. Anybody knows what else might be involved in the function of the cover ?

0 Likes