Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note20 Ultra 5G - Android 14 - what's going on?

(Topic created on: 20-09-2023 08:58 PM)
Jephy
Explorer
Options
Hi,

I'm a bit disappointed to hear rumours that this phone will not be getting the Android 14/One UI 6 update. I thought we were guaranteed 3 or 4 years of updates now and as of the beta release, the phone wasn't 3 years old since release.

The phone is more than capable, heck the current OS still has a lot of bugs which I was hoping this would resolve. 

The same goes for the Galaxy Tab S6 LTE, it has been left out of Android and One UI updates that the Tab S6 Lite got and the tablet is a much more capable device and only released not many months prior.

I have owned every new Galaxy device since the Galaxy S2, 3 tablets starting with the Tab S4 and 2 smartwatches and I'm starting to get fed up of how we are treated as consumers and the effect all this e-waste could potentially have. You don't even allow users to root like some other manufacturers so you could continue to keep the OS up to date.

This needs to change honestly, living within Europe (I'm in the UK), I'm hoping they force manufacturers to do this sooner rather than later.

An official response from Samsung would be appreciated 
26 REPLIES 26
UNKNOWNUSERNAME
Big Cheese
Options
no chance your getting an official response from samsung themselves, maybe their moderators but not them.
Jephy
Explorer
Options
Thanks, I submitted it via the feedback within the Samsung Members app also.

I hardly use this part so wasn't aware of whether officials use it or not.
ynneL
Troubleshooter
Options
The Note 20 was only promised 3 years worth of major OS updates which it's had with Android 13 being the last one but it'll continue to get security updates until 2025
Jephy
Explorer
Options
It was released August 2020. The beta was released in June or July I believe.

So upon full release it is only 1 or 2 months out, but that's besides the point. This is bad customer support and should continue for as long as the hardware can support it. Apple do it, some other Android manufacturers do it.

Apple were even sued not too long ago around their firmware releases.

I'm not a climate boff but think of all the ewaste too.
Piper123
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
https://www.sammobile.com/news/galaxy-note-20-series-will-not-get-android-14-one-ui-6-update/

SamMobile clear that Android 13 was the third of the OS releases for the (excellent) Note 20.

Note 20 launched on Android 10 and has been updated to 11, 12 and 13 (so 3 OS updates).

That's it from what is being reported in afraid.
Jephy
Explorer
Options
Yup that's the same post I read, but I'm sure we were promised 3 years not 3 major releases.

Regardless, as I've already stated it is more than capable, bad customer service and creates a lot of e-waste.

Other manufacturers support the life of the phone or up until providing a major update would negatively impact on performance, I don't see why Samsung shouldn't as well.
Piper123
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I don't disagree but at the time of release, that is what Samsung offered. Remember that OS is only updated by Google once a year so you've had your 3.

Today the flagships from Samsung are getting 5 years (4 OS plus and extra year security) so improving.
Jephy
Explorer
Options
I'm hoping they reconsider this but I doubt it. Happy to see they are improving even if it is negligible.

I'm glad I've held off getting the new handset every year since getting the Note 20 Ultra 5G and maybe it is time to reconsider the manufacturer I support going forwards.
Piper123
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Note 20 is a fantastic device and continues to be so even if it is 3 years old. 👍