Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy A12 Microphone Issues

(Topic created on: 19-01-2024 05:16 PM)
MX7
Apprentice
Options

Several days ago both of the microphones on my Galaxy A12 failed during phone calls and voice recordings using the messaging app.  At best I could hear, and others I was talking to could hear, very faint sounds surrounded by static.

However....

When I use the video feature on the Camera app, both microphones record my voice clearly, without any static.

I am completely baffled as to the nature of this problem.  Is it bad hardware?  Bad software?

I tried a full factory reset and every other bit of advice related to the microphones, but the problem remains consistent.

The mics do not work when I make a phone call; they do work when I record a video.

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
MX7
Apprentice
Options

After two weeks looking for an explanation for this problem, I still have none, and thus no permanent fix.

I did figure out a work-around, however, which was to buy a set of cheap ($12) wired earbuds and plug them into the jack at the base of the phone.  It's not ideal, and I'm not sure if wireless earbuds would also work, but the mic on the wired earbuds picks up my voice with no problem.  No complaints from people I'm talking to.

(Related tip: when I first got the earbuds I thought they didn't work because I didn't push them into the jack far enough.  They took a good shove, but you can check the connection by having your phone play sounds/music until you hear that through the earbud speakers themselves.)

View solution in context

47 REPLIES 47
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Do try using the diagnostic tool found in your Samsung Members App @MX7 

Have a look at these Samsung Support Links please  >

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/what-to-do-if-your-microphone-or-speaker-is-not-wo... 

A Samsung Service Centre can assess your phone. 

If I can be of any further help then please don't hesitate. Take care.  😎 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
MX7
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for your reply.

I did previously locate and implement all of the various fixes in the link you provided.  Nothing has changed the underlying issue in any way.

It almost seems like there must be two hardware pathways for sounds picked up by the mics, and one of them is now faulty, but that doesn't make a lot of sense from a design perspective.  (Why duplicate that function?)

Genuinely curious how this problem could even happen.

WS99
First Poster
Options
I have EXACTLY the same issue caused by the latest update.
Solution
MX7
Apprentice
Options

After two weeks looking for an explanation for this problem, I still have none, and thus no permanent fix.

I did figure out a work-around, however, which was to buy a set of cheap ($12) wired earbuds and plug them into the jack at the base of the phone.  It's not ideal, and I'm not sure if wireless earbuds would also work, but the mic on the wired earbuds picks up my voice with no problem.  No complaints from people I'm talking to.

(Related tip: when I first got the earbuds I thought they didn't work because I didn't push them into the jack far enough.  They took a good shove, but you can check the connection by having your phone play sounds/music until you hear that through the earbud speakers themselves.)

Members_LfAIoig
First Poster
Options

I now have an identical problem with my A12. Using the microphone for calls or with a voice recorder app the sound is non existent or very faint. Used with the camera its fine, so the mic is ok. My current work arounf is a Bluetooth headset. What is the fix please?

0 Likes
spikw
First Poster
Options
How can they get away with selling them then? . Had mine just 2 months now have the same issue
0 Likes
nwgeorgia1
Explorer
Options

Today is Monday, April 29th. My Galaxy A12 has suddenly started doing the exact same thing. If I make a phone call no one can hear me, yet I hear them perfectly. I can video call my wife using WhatsApp and she can see and hear me perfectly. I have checked to verify that there are no permissions issues within the phone settings. Something has happened that has caused microphone issues ONLY when using my actual phone app.

nwgeorgia1
Explorer
Options

I used the Diagnostic tool within the Samsung Members app. Per the graphic given during the tests, there are 2 microphones. Mic 1 is on the bottom of the phone and mic 2 is at the top. Mic 1 is failing but mic 2 is working. This would explain how I have problems making phone calls.. people cannot hear me.. but I can make video calls using WhatsApp and people can hear me just fine. I am continuing to test to try to resolve the issue... if possible.

Jfceklosky
Explorer
Options

I have another a12 with the same problem.

Did you resolve the issue?

I think a recent firmware update created this problem.