Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing forgotten pattern unlock - A54

(Topic created on: 4 weeks ago)
trulymadlyali
Apprentice
Options

I want to disable the pattern unlock on an A54 - I can unlock the phone with fingerprint but have forgotten the pattern to unlock.  Can it be disabled and the pin set instead, if I can get in with the fingerprint? I'd like to avoid a factory reset if possible as I don't think it is backed up. Thanks in advance. 

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
OmegaMutant
Voyager
Options
I've always used a PIN, and if I want to change it I have to confirm the current PIN. I suspect it'll be same for pattern unlock too.

It'll be a case of doing a reset I think. If you can unlock it at the moment via Fingerprint then I'd suggest using SmartSwitch on PC/Laptop to do a quick backup and then reset phone, then restore from backup.

Or can back up through settings > accounts and back up but you'll need to sync photos to ondrive or Google, don't forget to also back up chats in WhatsApp too.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/apps-services/methods-to-back-up-and-restore-data-to-galaxy-devic...

Link about the back up methods available.
0 Likes
trulymadlyali
Apprentice
Options
Thank you, it sounds like this will be the thing to do. I appreciate your help!
OmegaMutant
Voyager
Options
You're welcome. I think maybe skip backing up settings though, as I believe it'll back up current pattern lock too. You'll have to reset your wallpaper, Bluetooth, WiFi settings again but if you back up with current pattern then restore you'll be in same position.
0 Likes
trulymadlyali
Apprentice
Options

Thanks,  that's a helpful point I would not have thought of!

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@trulymadlyali: Please note that you are required to enter a secure Lock screen option (Pattern, PIN or Password) by default when registering your Fingerprint biometrics, as this is needed after restarting the phone, or requested periodically for verification purposes. With this in mind, please make sure to choose a memorable PIN, Pattern or Password to avoid future issues. 

0 Likes
trulymadlyali
Apprentice
Options
Thank you, I will!
0 Likes