Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can phone be incompatible with router

(Topic created on: 08-02-2024 04:44 PM)
nicky2024
Explorer
Options
I have an A34 phone and about 2 months ago I started having issues with wi-fi not staying connected. Samsung chat suggested the issue could be my router is no longer compatible with my phone? Is this possible?
I have no idea how old the router is because I am living in someone else's house and it belongs to them
Is it possible a software update could have caused this
My nearest samsung experience centre is an hour away which I cannot get to at the momet. This is partly why I am asking my question 
Before anyone might ask resetting router is a big no no
0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16
Robin999
Black Belt 
Options
Is the connection intermittent or does it not connect for long periods of time?
0 Likes
nicky2024
Explorer
Options
Often I find it has disconnected while the device is asleep but yesterday I was talking to samsung chat and it disconnected 3 times within the space of an hour If the phone says wi-fi connected but no Internet or wi-fi failed to connect it will always reconnect immediately if I turn it off and on again but not tried to see if it will reconnect without me doing anything. I have no idea what time the device disconnects unless I am literally using my phone
0 Likes
Robin999
Black Belt 
Options
I know you say the router isn't your own but do you know what router it is. BT, VIRGIN, SKY etc. Is this only happening when connected via this router or any router you connect to. Not familiar with the A34 but check your phone settings for anything that might turn off Wi-Fi as part of any battery saving feature.
nicky2024
Explorer
Options
The router is TalkTalk possibly only this router but not sure as another router I connect to is for only 3 hours at a time and during that time I tend not to be using my phone and at a time I am unlikely to be getting emails or WhatsApp messages sent to me
0 Likes
keith30
Maestro
Options
You may need to have the router upgraded to a new model
0 Likes
Robin999
Black Belt 
Options
Without knowing how old the router is, it may just need a firmware update. I'd persuade the owner to allow you to update it.
0 Likes
nicky2024
Explorer
Options
I tested the wi-fi when connected and this is what I got1707421990552.jpg
0 Likes
Badger42
Helping Hand
Options
Under settings>connections>WiFi then the settings wheel for the connected WiFi, it maybe worth checking if you have auto reconnect active. It might also be worth trying to change the Mac address from either randomised to manual or vice versa to see if that helps.1707423994286.jpg
0 Likes
Tractor777
Explorer
Options
Try turning off the "intelligent wifi" settings. They keep dropping WiFi in favour of mobile. I had that problem and after turning those all off there phone have been fine
0 Likes