Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broken phone won’t turn on - please help!

(Topic created on: 3 weeks ago)
elthebard
Student
Options

hi, apologies in advance - i’m posting this on behalf of my mum. 

my mum dropped her galaxy A71 outside and didn’t realise for a good 3-4 hours so it’s probably been rained on (although the rain hasn’t been heavy). the damage didn’t look too bad - it was a bit soggy and the screen is cracked but it’s been drying off indoors, although we’re hesitant to try putting it on charge. 

we’ve tried turning it on and it came up with the whole ‘samsung galaxy A71, powered by android’ start screen but it’s just turning straight back off. i’ve tried holding down the power and lower volume buttons for 15 seconds and it still just turns straight back off. 

my mum annoyingly does not back up any of her stuff and is desperate to get back into her phone. it’s a long shot, but does anyone know a way we can get it turned back on, or is it in any way reparable?

8 REPLIES 8
Robin999
Black Belt 
Options
Is it possible the battery is so low it won't stay powered on? Try plugging the charger in and giving it a good 30 mins charge before trying again.
TechZilla
Troubleshooter
Options
If it got wet you must ensure it is fully dry before charging it especially in the usb port. It could cause more damage, please be careful, if it is powering on at least that's a good sign.
0 Likes
elthebard
Student
Options

i don’t think it’s out of charge, according to life360 it was on about 56% before turning itself off. will try this tomorrow though once we know it’s fully dried 

elthebard
Student
Options

oh yes! don’t worry, we’re going to leave it overnight to make sure it’s fully dried before trying to charge it. it’s good to know that it powering on is a good thing! 

TechZilla
Troubleshooter
Options
Also don't try to turn it on anymore until it's fully dried or you might cause a short. Check this link to Samsungs website as it might help https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001077/
0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@elthebard I'd suggest to let a Samsung Service Centre have hands on to assess it. 

Due to accidental damage expect a fee to repair the phone. 

Or check any insurance such as any your network may have sold you or Household Contents Insurance,  or some bank accounts provide cover as a perk of the account. 

If i can be of any further help please don't hesitate to ask  😎 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

Toleleuk
First Poster
Options
You need to get a dessicator or probably a ready item at home like Rice & burry the phone in it for 48hr to dry it out. Most people don't have dessicators readily at home. Those small pouches found in new shoe box or leather bags... It is essential it is properly dry. If not the phone should let you know when it in charge mode... Some phones will alert moisture or wet...
0 Likes
Toleleuk
First Poster
Options
Good luck
0 Likes