Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

SDD external drive and MAC OS

(Topic created on: 17-03-2022 07:09 PM)
tigermum
First Poster
Options

I want to buy an external SDD drive for a Mac Minin with OS 10.7

All the drives I've looked at say you need Mac OS 10.10 or above - and not guaranteed to work on older OS.

Does anyone know if the SDD might work on my Mac Mini? I don't want to transfer data to cloud as I don't have permanent internet connection.

thanks,

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
The drive compatibility isn't an issue itself, it's usually the bundled software that has the OS requirement. I would still do what Merlin's suggests though and fit a larger SSD into a 3rd-party caddy. You'll get much more storage for the same money that way.

View solution in context

3 REPLIES 3
Merlins23ultra
Navigator
Options
For what it's worth, I've regularly used an ssd in a caddy and had no problems. Just be sure to format it correctly 🤞it should be good. I've used this drive under lion, mountain and the latest. The caddy I have is unbranded cheapo one. Good luck 🍀
Solution
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
The drive compatibility isn't an issue itself, it's usually the bundled software that has the OS requirement. I would still do what Merlin's suggests though and fit a larger SSD into a 3rd-party caddy. You'll get much more storage for the same money that way.
Tajlor
First Poster
Options

I'm also thinking about buying an external SDD drive. So far, this solution seems to me the most optimal to increase the amount of space on the Mac. However, I'm sure that space on the Mac is also taken up by useless apps or files, and I'm looking for solutions on how to remove them https://setapp.com/how-to/how-to-clear-purgeable-space-on-macos. Many people recommend CleanMyMac. It might make sense to try it, because lately I’ve been really running out of space, and because of this, the laptop is running slower.

0 Likes