Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

980 Pro - How important is the 5B2QGXA7 update?

(Topic created on: 16-04-2022 08:07 PM)
TechTune
Student
Options

I just googled myself to this community, so I'm sorry if this is a recurring topic.

The 980 is my boot drive, I have tried the Samsung Firmware installer boot drive via bios so many times now, i just can't that s*it to work! "Press any key to continue..." haunts my dreams, cause I'm pressing every goddamn key on this computer, but nothing happens.

So! How important are firmware updates on this drive ?

-M

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
If the drive is performing as expected do not flash the firmware. You don't really need it if you are happy with how the drive works. Also as it is your boot drive should you ever choose the flash firmware in future, take a full backup image with Acronis True Image or Macrium Reflect. Macrium do a free version of reflect, the same cannot be said for Acronis. I bought Acronis years ago and am using it to backup all my machines to NAS and USB storage which lives in a flood and fireproof cabinet away from the house. The joys of being self-employed mean I have offices with secure storage elsewhere

View solution in context

2 REPLIES 2
Solution
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
If the drive is performing as expected do not flash the firmware. You don't really need it if you are happy with how the drive works. Also as it is your boot drive should you ever choose the flash firmware in future, take a full backup image with Acronis True Image or Macrium Reflect. Macrium do a free version of reflect, the same cannot be said for Acronis. I bought Acronis years ago and am using it to backup all my machines to NAS and USB storage which lives in a flood and fireproof cabinet away from the house. The joys of being self-employed mean I have offices with secure storage elsewhere
TechTune
Student
Options

Much appreciated @antikythera :smiling-face:

Yes, the drive performs as expected. I always get so stuck on updates making everything better than it already is. Have done some image backups in the past, but I think I'll might as well just skip this particular update.. for now!

-M 

0 Likes