Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung HW-Q800C firmware "1003.6" DTS codec regression bug

(Topic created on: 14-10-2023 11:37 AM)
Mirko_Brand
Pioneer
Options

Hello, a few days ago my Q800C soundbar has auto-updated to the latest firmware "1003.6".

This has introduced a bug where "DTS HD MA" audio codec can no longer be played. The soundbar displays "Stereo PCM" even though the content has "DTS HD MA 7.1".

This used to work on previous firmware "1002.0". No other changes to physical connections, nor software was made.

Is there any way to manually downgrade firmware?

21 REPLIES 21
Munkeebutt67
Pioneer
Options

You can download on Samsung site, make sure no audio files are on the memory stick. Also when it's done, put your TV audio settings on screen, and passthrough will be selectable, and DTS should be enabled. This worked on my q600b, with a Samsung au8000 tv . Only strange thing is DTS never appears in soundbar display, only multi pcm. Hope this helps. Certain streams only put out stereo pcm, as netflix unless you get premium pack.

0 Likes
Mirko_Brand
Pioneer
Options

There is definitely something broken in this update.

If you plug a USB drive with DTS-HD MA test files into the TV directly, the built in Samsung media player reports "Unsupported audio format".

This behavior also happens when using a dedicated external media player with audio passthrough.

As mentioned, the previous version 1002.0 did not have any issues like this.

Munkeebutt67
Pioneer
Options

I don't think the soundbars accept anything but certain types of audio files, but I only ever used wma and MP3 besides Amazon music downloads, so I'm clueless as to other file types. The q600b has similar limitations, but everything else works fine

0 Likes
Mirko_Brand
Pioneer
Options

I think you misunderstood. I did NOT plug in a USB into the soundbar, but into the TV. I know that the soundbar USB port is only for "service" and firmware updates; not playback.

Still... Not being able to downgrade the firmware and being stuck with "1003.6" is a big problem for me since one of the essential features of a SoundBar/AVR is being able to process all of the common industry audio formats. DTS being one of the formats/codecs.

0 Likes
Munkeebutt67
Pioneer
Options

I understand that, were you trying to it this update into the TV, or the soundbar? I plugged a blank, except the firmware, flash stick into the soundbar and the firmware downloaded, it also showed DSP update in the bar display after the firmware installed. I can't use WiFi as this bar has none. Yours can update by smart things app as another option. I hope it ends up as you want it soon. Can you try the q600b firmware update? I know it's not as fancy as yours, but it works.

0 Likes
Munkeebutt67
Pioneer
Options

This is 1008.2.BIN download, I don't know if yours will accept this after a hard reset

0 Likes
Mirko_Brand
Pioneer
Options

I've checked the QxxxC lineup, and only the Q600C has its own FW revision, all other models are on '1003.6'.
So I am not so hopeful that it will work on my Q800C, especially since there is no way to downgrade firmware in case this goes south.

Appreciate the idea, but it would be a lot more professional for Samsung staff to react to the thread, instead of us users experimenting on our pricy equipment at our own risk...

0 Likes
Munkeebutt67
Pioneer
Options
  • Would a hard reset rid you of the firmware you don't want. I'm not sure if it's going to erase it and go back to the factory version, but it can only help, without worry of damaging the software. I want to know if swa9500 rear speakers will work with q600b. I have 9200 rears, but would be interested to hear if the Atmos height speakers would work with this bar, as I believe they are compatible with more than just the 700 and 800 series. The truth is out there, somewhere.
0 Likes
Munkeebutt67
Pioneer
Options

One last thing, I missed the DTS comment at the beginning. I had issues with DTS and couldn't select pass through. I played valerian Blu-ray, and while running, selected pass thru. It changed the stereo pcm to multi pcm, and has auto selected DTS since. I don't know if this will solve your DTS issue, but it did for me. I don't know why the display doesn't show DTS like it does Dolby Atmos digital etc. My last message now, I feel I'm dragging this out for you. Good luck

0 Likes