Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q-Symphony very flakey

(Topic created on: 09-12-2023 01:59 PM)
Cryoman
Journeyman
Options

Hi everone, I hope somebody can help me with a fix for this.

First, I'm in the UK and am using Sky Q

I have a Samsung 43BU8000 TV and a Samsung HW-S60A Soundbar.

Connected via eARC HDMI

I also use a Sky Q box connected to the TV (not the SB) via HDMI

What should happen is that when increasing volume etc, the popup should show "TV+Soundbar (HDMI)" but more often than not it only picks up the Soundbar, so the Q-Symphony feature is very erratic.

Sometimes its there sometimes (more often than not) its only the soundbar so I have to go into the Settings>Sound and select TV+Soundbar manually.

Ive tried substituting an optical connection but that was worse, often the TV doesnt even pick up the TOSLINK connection and shows "TV" on the volume.

Ive reset both TV & SB and power cycled both more times than I care to mention.

Firmware is up to date.

Expert settings sound output is set to Auto but I've tried setting to PCM with no success.

Soundbar is set to Audi Out "Digital"

Anybody have a fix for this?

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
KMKMacd
First Poster
Options
I've started having the same problem recently after over a year without an issue. I'm wondering if it's related to a software update that was installed two or three weeks back.
0 Likes
Cryoman
Journeyman
Options

Unfortunately I don't think its as simple as that. Mine started playing up from the get-go. I was hoping the recent update you mention would fix it but sadly no improvement. Samsung support just go through the usual flow chart stuff (reboot/check for updates etc) so I'm not expecting any help from them on this one (no change there then...:-)

Ive also upgraded the HDMI cable in the feint hope that might help.

..but of course it didn't.

I guess we'll have to just sit it out until somebody at Samsung notices the issue. Its always frustrating when the fault can't be isolated to either of the two devices (or the Q-Symphony utility itself)

Gurky
Helping Hand
Options
For TVs with just 2.0 audio like the BU8000 Q-Symphony doesn't do much or anything. It uses some of the TV speakers. Usally turns off the bottom firing and uses side and up. With your TV only having 2 it won't make much difference using it or not.
0 Likes
Cryoman
Journeyman
Options

I understand what you're saying but we do find it fills out the sound somewhat. That said, it is supposed to work and it doesn't which is frustrating.

It may be that a future firmware update may fix things but I'm not holding my breath. Samsung have never been great at fixing the nitty gritty gripes that drive their customers up the wall. Having had several Samsung products in the past I suppose I should've considered that when choosing to purchase.

Fool me once......

Gurky
Helping Hand
Options
Honestly i don't imagine 2 x 10w spekars add much really? Compared to the Sound bad, my QN95C flicks in and out and its a guess that's on or off even at a 4.4.2. Maybe a bit of a placebo affect.
0 Likes
Cryoman
Journeyman
Options

Well, when I first got the TV the sound was soooo poor and tinny I had to do something.

I've never been into the crash, bang, wallop of big blockbuster movies playing at 100w, in fact most of the time the volume level is at around 12-15.

I just wanted good clear quality dialog and adding the soundbar does that to a certain extent but when working with the TV speakers the sound is much more rounded. I certainly notice when I switch on and it reverts to Soundbar (HDMI) only. Its just a pita having to go into sound settings and manually do what Q-Symphony is supposed to do all the time.