Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio Delay from Xbox Series X

(Topic created on: 24-03-2023 03:00 AM)
dannyp21
Explorer
Options
I have just bought a new Xbox Series X console and have it wired into my new Samsung Q90T 2020 TV through the game port and then wired via HDMI  EARC port into my Q800T soundbar. 

On setting the console to Dolby Atmos there is a significant audio delay from the soundbar which cannot be rectified through the sync settings on the soundbar or the TV. 

I have Netflix on the TV and my satellite box set up also through EARC and there is no issue but the is significant issue with the Xbox sound sync which is quite frankly infuriating. 

Is anyone else having this issue, and has anyone found a fix? I have spent a lot of money on a new home cinema set up and cannot watch blu rays because of this. 
191 REPLIES 191
Nick Vrud
First Poster
Options

Audio Lag hereAudio Lag herePerfect audio here...Perfect audio here...

-Is your Xbox on? Sorry, had to ask. Mine is greyed out too while the box is off.

-If it's on, is your setup similar? E.g. Xbox directly to TV, and TV to AVR via HDMI from/to ARC ports?

Lastly, there's definitely something "off" with the Atmos setup (likely a hardware issue as noted above). Here's what I've found with my setup in particular:

If I turn on eARC to "auto", and have "passthrough audio" enabled in the xbox audio settings, and Dolby Atmos selected on the Xbox audio output...then the Samsung Expert Setting for Pass-Through digital audio works, and no audio lag. Seems that all my speakers fire up just fine, and surround effects work, but my AVR does display simply "Dolby Surround". This is what I play on primarily.

If I turn eARC off on my Samsung, and leave all the settings above the same, it will display "Dolby Atmos" on my AVR, but there is audio lag. Even if "pass-through" is enabled on the xbox, it won't let you enable that on the Samsung audio settings, and it has lag.

Somewhere there's a problem, but I guess my thoughts are - in the first scenario, my xbox is theoretically sending Atmos and "passing through" to my receiver. Somewhere in the middle, my TV is messing with it via eARC (since it's on "auto") and my AVR displays Dolby Surround...but all 7.2.2 speakers are firing and I can definitely hear effects behind me when playing Halo, so that's the option I go with since it doesn't lag.

Clearly an issue that needs to be addressed ..but jury's out on whether its on Samsung's side of the fence or Microsoft's.

0 Likes
jaysung
Journeyman
Options

I bought a Samsung S95 65 inch with a bundled 801 Soundbar from the Samsung website directly. Huge awful lag with atmos settings. 

0 Likes
Justagamer
First Poster
Options

Exact same dilemma here!

Delay goes away completely for me when hooking up headphones directly to the Series X controller even though preset is set to DA for headphones.

The delay is only there with TV speakers or any audio device connected to the TV's headphone jack. Stereo uncompressed cuts down the lag ever so slightly but it's there. I can easily notice it. Maybe around 200ms.

It's a TCL c635. Fairly certain it's a Microsoft/Xbox issue. 

No audio lag at all on YouTube, TV, movies, etc.

0 Likes
DaBoostR
First Poster
Options

I recently bought the Samsung - HW-Q750B/ZA 5.1.2ch Soundbar with Wireless Dolby Atmos / DTS:X and a 2022 QLED 4K w/ 120hz support.  I initially followed the instructions and connected the XBOX Series X to the TV HDMI 1 and the Connected the Soundbar via HDMI eARC.  There was an unconfigurable delay when watching any movies/content.  The initial research I found was suggesting I plug the XBOX directly into the Soundbar.  That did remove the delay, but it limited the refresh rate to 60hz.  It also removed the option to play sound through the TV and the Soundbar, losing the additional spatial audio provided by the TV reflecting sound and sensing the room noise.  After some additional research, I learned today that I was able to plug my TV Optical cable into to my Soundbar and connecty my XBOX to the HDMI eARC on the TV.  All the features lit up in the XBOX settings for 4K TV; 120hz, Dolby Atmos, etc..  Then I set my XBOX Audio to Dolby Digital setting.  My delay was removed and the Optical Audio provided an additional Sync Delay setting to tweak audio delay.  Good Luck!

PvdHeuvel
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for the info. I wil try it out this weekend 👍

0 Likes
PvdHeuvel
Journeyman
Options

After more then 2 years I’m done with Samsung vs Xbox. Bought a ps5 and every problem is solved now. Not supporting Dolby atmos at the moment. But the delay with Samsung and Xbox is insane. Ps5 for me now and love it even more. 

0 Likes
Anthony638
First Poster
Options

Still no fix ? 
S95C + Q990C + XBSX and the atmos delay is horrible… like, really horrible…

0 Likes
EderTenorio
Apprentice
Options

No.. u need buy another one for solve this problem,... for me work 100% now.

0 Likes
BrandonJ84
First Poster
Options

Purchase a 2.1 HDMI cable, fixed mine and works amazingly 

Anthony638
First Poster
Options

Thought the XBX was bundled with a 2.1 ? swapping for another one did the job?

Thanks !

0 Likes