Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrist based gesture navigation has been removed from WearOS 3 - please add it back!

(Topic created on: 27-08-2021 07:03 PM)
LaurenceGough
Pioneer
Options

Hello,

I've just received my Galaxy Watch 4 today which has the new Google WearOS 3 on it. It's all fully up-to-date as of 27th August 2021.

I was extremely disappointed to find that the wrist based gesture navigation has been completely removed which was in the previous versions of WearOS. Well, there is only one option, to answer and reject calls but this is only a small part of the functionality missing.

This is a super useful feature which is very hard to live without once you have used it, and was a big reason for myself going back to WearOS! It allows for one hand navigation which few smart watches can do. I'm not sure if Samsung broke it or not but Google and Samsung have worked together on this and this is a feature which I and I am sure many people would be extremely grateful if it could be re-established.

For reference here's how it worked before:
https://support.google.com/wearos/answer/6312406?hl=en-GB#zippy=%2Cfrom-the-main-watch-screen%2Cscro...

Many thanks,

Laurence

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
AndrewL
Options

@LaurenceGough: I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the absence of wrist gestures on the Galaxy Watch 4. I can see how this could be useful in certain situations, and maybe we will see them introduced in future updates. For now, the only gesture feature available is Raise Wrist To Wake (Settings > Display > Raise Wrist To Wake), but you could also explore the Bixby voice features if you're looking for further hands free functionality.

LaurenceGough
Pioneer
Options

Thanks Andrew, I really do hope the code that was used before when it was present could be reused for WearOS 3. 

Voice assistants are great but no replacement for a quick check of notifications, it's a feature I believe they can't even do currently.

The thing is it was a toggle switch in the settings, so if you don't like the gesture navigation you can just turn it off which it is by default - it's really just a win-win situation.

Kkozi
Explorer
Options

Is it any chance to add this functionality to future updates? It is a nonsense it was removed from the system.

0 Likes