Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When finished recording a workout, Strava sync can sometimes take hours

(Topic created on: 21-04-2020 10:42 PM)
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

I have my Samsung health app (on the phone) set to sync with Strava. So whenever i record a workout (Cycling, running, walking etc), when the workout is completed, Samsung Health is meant to sync the data with strava.

I have a regular problem where the sync can sometimes take 12 hours approx.

This is an inconvenience because i like to finish my workout then look at the activity straight after in Strava.

I have tried these steps in order to 'force' a Strava sync but it doesn't work:
- Clearing the app's cache
- Force stopping the app and re opening
- Uninstalling the Samsung health updates and reinstalling them / re set the app back up.

I have also recently done a factory reset of the phone in order to fix another issue i was having...the issue survived that.

I am using a gear sport SM-R600NZKABTU

The phone I am using it with is a galaxy S8 plus SM-G955F.

The watch software version is:

Tizen 3.0.0.2

R600XXU1ARC4

Phone software version:

Android 8.0.0

Baseband: G955FXXU1CRD1

Gear app 2.2.20.17113061

Gear plugin 2.2.03.18041051

The gear manager, Samsung health and the watch are all up to date.

My friend has the same issue using a gear s3 with a note 7.

Currently, in order to sync straight away i am resorting to manually exporting the GPX file to the strava website.

This issue is intermittant.

238 REPLIES 238
SamLeSolide
Explorer
Options

You can use the app SyncMyTracks available on PlayStore.

However, to allow Samsung Health to communicate with this app, you need to put it under a "Developer mode". See below on how to do it.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=samsung+health+developped+mode

0 Likes
xian_JR
Apprentice
Options

@Stuy76 wrote:

The final nail for my Samsung Gear Active was it failed to finish recording a 7 hour ultra marathon and lost the 6 hours it did track. I now use a Garmin 645 which will track 8 hours on standard settings and up to 24 hours when you tweak everything on ultra track. Also syncs flawlessly with Strava....

It's good to see Samsung finally improving it but I'm now of the opinion it's a heavily compromised smart watch with fitness tracking capabilities as opposed to an out and out fitness tracker. The software with Garmin is also a lot more powerful for guiding your training. 

Holy smokes again! 7 hours of ultra... I don't think any smartwatches are built for endurance running. Not even Samsung, Apple, LG watches. The best you can get, I believe is around 3-4 hours with these at best. Anything ultra, you'll need garmin, suunto, etc that has intermittent GPS tracking (ie. ultra-trac mode). The best comparison in terms of endurance tracking of SGW would be to VA3 or VA4. Anything longer than 4 hours... go garmin. My 2 cents.

I had Fenix 3 (sapphaire with Titanium band), Vivoactive1,2,3, and Fitbits... and decided I use smartwatch functions more and don't run as much. I don't run all day. So keeping my SGW46 and VA3 for golf and backup. They both track swim, run, bike, golf well. 

I'm a rookie in activity tracking so all to its own. 

For the Strava sync, it's hit or miss with both SGW or Garmin respectively. Most of the time, they both sync well, but some times they lag. Because I have a Garmin product, I go to their forum for the same sync issues, and I don't think garmins are immune to this; go check it out. 

As of this date (April 21,2020) my samsung health app actually synced garmin activities that was synced with strava; so it displays both my SGW activities AND garmin connect activities - which is very cool. Garmin Connect doesn't sync SGW activities. 

xian_JR
Apprentice
Options

@blenky wrote:

@dmmcd wrote:

Also to clarify, it will update NEW workouts to Strava once connected. It does not sync your old workouts. If you want to import your old workouts, that has to be done manually...

How do you manully import old Samsung Health activities into Strava?

Once connected, it will sync restro-back to a few weeks. Mine synced the past two weeks recently. I don't think there's a way to "manually" import though. 

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@xian_JR wrote:

@blenky wrote:

@dmmcd wrote:

Also to clarify, it will update NEW workouts to Strava once connected. It does not sync your old workouts. If you want to import your old workouts, that has to be done manually...

How do you manully import old Samsung Health activities into Strava?

Once connected, it will sync restro-back to a few weeks. Mine synced the past two weeks recently. I don't think there's a way to "manually" import though. 

I've given up with Strava and my Active 2.  Sometimes it worked and then just stopped moving to Strava.  Did all the usual troubleshooting,  But to be honest I find it more trouble that its worth.  Now I either use the Strava watch app or Samsung Health.

0 Likes
AsGuusual
Journeyman
Options

I also used to struggle a lot with the poor Strava integration on the Samsung Health app. There's just zero feedback about when and how the activity gets uploaded. I made the switch to Gear Tracker, which is available on the Galaxy Store, and provides a much more concise and clear Strava integration. Along with that it allows for so much more customization than the Samsung Health app does. (I know that's not too hard since the Samsung Health app provides close to zero) I made a review about Gear Tracker a couple of days ago, so if you're interested in its features feel free to check that out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0IJiQFmrPE 

0 Likes
reubenb
Journeyman
Options

Has anyone found a workable solution for this? I got my watch 3 on Friday and can't get s health to sync with strava despite the permissions being set up to do so.

I'm thinking of sending it back as it doesn't work with the app I want and the hrm seems way off compared to other trackers I've used. Steps are out too. 

Seems like a big fail that Samsung don't care about. 

0 Likes
Goldman1
Apprentice
Options

Try GearTracker!! It works super fine with sync to Strava! :smiling-face:

McBill
Student
Options

I have given up on Samsung health talking to Strava - it would only update real time before midday and then anything done in the afternoon would not go over until after midnight... You might try setting it up and leaving it for a day just to see.

I brought a garmin Fenix 5x watch and it uses Garmin connect to sync to Strava, it syncs instantly every time.  I still use the Samsung health as a back-up on my phone in case i forget to charge my watch and at least then i can turn on the sync and wait half a day for it to appear in Strava (be careful it does not re-post 200 events into strava as that happened to me once) - or you can use the timings and manually post as Strava now allows you to add an activity manually. 

In short i doubt Samsung will ever fix its sync issue and I would use a different app if you want to post to Strava immediately after you complete your activity.

0 Likes
Testvd
Explorer
Options

Absolutely disgusting how Samsung and Strava are not working on the problem to sync data correctly from Samsung Health to Strava. And Strava doesn't seem to care that there app on Tizen doens't work at all.

0 Likes