Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When finished recording a workout, Strava sync can sometimes take hours

(Topic created on: 19-10-2019 08:31 PM)
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

I have my Samsung health app (on the phone) set to sync with Strava. So whenever i record a workout (Cycling, running, walking etc), when the workout is completed, Samsung Health is meant to sync the data with strava.

I have a regular problem where the sync can sometimes take 12 hours approx.

This is an inconvenience because i like to finish my workout then look at the activity straight after in Strava.

I have tried these steps in order to 'force' a Strava sync but it doesn't work:
- Clearing the app's cache
- Force stopping the app and re opening
- Uninstalling the Samsung health updates and reinstalling them / re set the app back up.

I have also recently done a factory reset of the phone in order to fix another issue i was having...the issue survived that.

I am using a gear sport SM-R600NZKABTU

The phone I am using it with is a galaxy S8 plus SM-G955F.

The watch software version is:

Tizen 3.0.0.2

R600XXU1ARC4

Phone software version:

Android 8.0.0

Baseband: G955FXXU1CRD1

Gear app 2.2.20.17113061

Gear plugin 2.2.03.18041051

The gear manager, Samsung health and the watch are all up to date.

My friend has the same issue using a gear s3 with a note 7.

Currently, in order to sync straight away i am resorting to manually exporting the GPX file to the strava website.

This issue is intermittant.

238 REPLIES 238
camjam
Journeyman
Options

I gave up on my Gear Fit2 months ago and went with Coros. Workouts sync to Strava very quickly and they respond to issues.

Stuy76
Explorer
Options
In my experience it has been good but possibly not entirely flawless. The inaccuracies might not be hardware/ Samsung issues though, as the strava app can be wildly inaccurate on Garmin too. Garmin will synchronise with strava more reliably than Samsung will though.
0 Likes
Quasters
First Poster
Options

This is exactly what I also am experiencing. I am thinking about purchasing a Garmin. It is a pity,as a am kind of happy with the overall experience. I must say the Strava app is now working as expected seems there is some tweaking done. So running I use Strave, swimming I need to wait the next day for all to be synced. I would prefer to use the Samsung app to record all activities and sync fast,let us hope Samsung gets this sorted. My watch Samsung Galaxy active.

JohnnyS
Student
Options

I finally decided to try something else and installed the Gear Tracker app from the Galaxy Store. Worked first time, uploads to Strava immediately, very configurable screens on the watch... pity the Samsung can't fix the issue when others clearly can.

D_a_n_i
Journeyman
Options

I sold my gear s3 and I am happy without it! :smiling-face:

0 Likes
sirbeersalot
Apprentice
Options
I use the gear tracker app myself.. brilliant app. Much better than Samsung and Strava apps. If others are reading this give it a go you'll be plesently surprised
0 Likes
julesbike
First Poster
Options

Mine now has not synced for 2 months.  I tried the Samsung support desk and go the following reply!  Clearly they feel this is not their problem.  

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

I understand from your inquiry that you would like to share your Samsung Health application data.

Since the developer is not related to Samsung, for any question regarding the functionality of the application and how to import data to it, you will need to contact them, because the data will be done from inside of that particular application/account.

From our end all we can tell you is to make sure that Data permissions are allowed from the Samsung Health application and if the app is supported

Therefore, please check if your app is compatible with Samsung Health by going to Discover > Products > Featured apps.

If you can find your app there, please follow the steps provided below:

1. Sync now via Samsung Health >3 vertical dots ( More )> Settings > Samsung Account > Sync now > Completed (show the completed date and time)

2. Close All apps on task manager (button on the left of Home button) and open Samsung Health again.

3. Check whether the permissions are turned on as below - Samsung Health > 3 vertical dots ( More )> Settings > Data Permissions > [ Name of the application] for ex Healthy 365 > ON  “
0 Likes
Stuy76
Explorer
Options

I've given up, Samsung and Strava just don't go together, be it through S Health or the Strava developed app which has also now stopped working.

I tried, recommended Samsung to friends but their customer service is terrible. Garmin FR 645 ordered, just need to swap the TV for an LG now.....

0 Likes
Fractalbrain
Apprentice
Options

Samsung, do you have an update?  While it does appear than Samsung health has gotten more stable over time, the lack of strava support is now cutting Samsung off from a (the ?) major service.

0 Likes
Headwesty
Student
Options

I just tried the 'Export GPX' workaround for an activity my Watch Active recorded this morning (but I forgot to start Strava).  I can't find 'Export GPX' in Samsung Health any more - I guess it was too useful.  It seems Samsung only want your data in their walled garden which is very frustrating.   It's even more frustrating as Samsung Health is the biggest battery hog on my phone.  I've removed it and re-installed it about 6 times now but it is the only way to preserve my health data...   

PS: When I remember to start Strava I find it works flawlessly!

0 Likes