Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whatsapp notifications not waking watch or sounding

(Topic created on: 03-10-2021 03:00 PM)
LarryPilkington
Pioneer
Options

I have a Galaxy watch 4.  Normal text message notifications are waking my watch screen and sounding but when I receive a whatsapp message, it comes through to my watch but doesn't wake the screen or make any sound so I only know it's there if I see the dot on my watch screen.  All whatsapp notification settings are as they should be.  Anybody have any suggestions?

26 REPLIES 26
rogersdave77
Troubleshooter
Options
Here is a pic Screenshot_20211003-123701_WhatsApp.jpg
0 Likes
LarryPilkington
Pioneer
Options
Mine are the same and also all the notification options within the phones whatsapp notification settings are all toggled on yet messages are still coming through to my phone silent! Doing my head in this!
0 Likes
precedence
First Poster
Options

I'm having this exact same problem.  I purchased the device a week ago from best buy as open box.  Got it configured and all was working well except WhatsApp notifications.  I chatted with Samsung support and they said it was a bad device.  So a few days after purchased, I returned and bought a brand new (not open box) Watch 4 device only to experience the same issue.  I confirmed all notification settings are active in the Galaxy Wear app, WhatsApp and the phone notification settings.  I get notifications for all other apps, but for WhatsApp, it does not wake the Watch 4 screen nor does it vibrate.  But I will see the orange dot indicating a notification.  When I turn the bezel, I see the message from WhatsApp.  My phone rings/chimes/vibrates every time a WhatsApp notification comes in.  I also tried resetting the watch 5 times.  And uninstalling and reinstalling WhatsApp twice (once preserving settings, and once deleting settings).  Still no luck.

Ironically, I upgraded to the Watch 4 from the Watch (version 1) which received WhatsApp notifications just fine.  I also have an Amazon Amazfit and it works fine with WhatsApp as well.  The new Galaxy Watch 4 is the only one not handling WhatsApp notifications as expected.  With the purchase of the Watch 4, I have unpaired both the Watch 1 and the Amazfit to see if they may be interfering in some way.  Afterwards, there was still no Watch 4 WhatsApp haptic for audible notifications (only the orange dot with the message when I turn the bezel).  I contacted support again and they are now saying they believe it to be a software issue that they have escalated internally.

I am running version R890XXU1CUJ2.  One UI Watch version 3.0.  Has anyone else figured this out???  I'm trying to give it time, but if this doesn't pan out in the next week, I'll have to return.  Too expensive for this fundamental breakdown.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
precedence
First Poster
Options

So I think i figured this out.  The issue is the "Show content in notifications" toggle in under "Fingerprint Lock" in Settings > Privacy.  If you toggle this off, it will prevent Whatsapp vibrations/sounds from transferring to the GW4.  You will see the orange dot, but not physical notification.  If you toggle this option on, it will work, but you lose message preview privacy.  This definitely seems like a bug.  I did not have this issue on my Galaxy Watch V1.

0 Likes
Members_0T7FiOx
First Poster
Options

I have a Samsung S7 and now bought a new Watch4.   I am very disappointed in the lack of an app for Whatsapp and also for Gmail

I do get a picture and name for the message that is transient.   After contacting Samsung, I found that the watch sound/vibration settings were on silent!    Once I set to vibrate, I get a vibrate alert for new message

I also added my gmail account to the outlook app, and that seems to give me alerts on the watch

0 Likes
juanchoverd
First Poster
Options

I had the same issue, I tried resetting the watch, reinstall whatsapp, didnt wok. What fixed it for me was going to the whatsapp notification settings on the phone and setting a "notifcation tone" for messages. Before this I had selected "silent" as a notification tone for the messages since I only wanted vibration for messages. I dont understand how changing the sound for the notifications should affect the vibration but it did, hope it helps someone

0 Likes
Cam_Melbourne
First Poster
Options

Confirming this IS the solution and it works.

The problem is either with WhatsApp or Samsung, hard to say. 

0 Likes