Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are my consumer rights getting my Watch6 Classic replaced as not fit for purpose?

(Topic created on: 2 weeks ago)
blenky
Troubleshooter
Options

@AntS I'm at my wits end with an issue with my Watch6 Classic which I have covered in depth in the post

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/wearables/watch-6-classic-activity-heart-rate-monitor-broken-aft...

The watch is not fit for purpose as one of its primary function - heart rate recording during any activity is grossly inaccurate after last update in March.  It simply cannot be used for health tracking making it useless.  I have documented proof of this comparing to both another Watc6 and an Apple Watch 3.

I have reported it four times and twice Samsung responded to say it would be looked into.  To date nothing has come of this.

In desperation I sent the watch has been sent for repair but the tests done show no error!  It was returned to me still exhibiting this fault.  Taking all this into account I asked Samsung (via chat) to replace the watch as it is clearly not fit for purpose.  They have refused.

What are my consumer rights here?  How do I get Samsung to take the issue seriously and do the right thing?  This is not a cheap watch and I expect one of its core functions to work.

Thanks for reading

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
Robin999
Maestro
Options
I'm pretty sure there must be some small print somewhere that states the watch is not a certified medical device and, therefore, not 100% accurate. I mean come on!
blenky
Troubleshooter
Options

I'm not stupid - I know its not a medical device and will never be 100% accurate! I'm not asking for that but for the price I expect something that is there or there abouts.  It is grossly inaccurate.  It simply can't be used for any activity.

For example a spin class I did recently my Watch6 classic showed an average HR of 169 and a max of 200.  On my other wrist I wore a Watch6, for the same spin class, and it recorded average of 114 and max of 135.  From years of exercise I know the lower result is correct.  So it's not a subtle difference - it is massive!  As I say it is not it for purpose so I'm wondering what my consumer rights are as Samsung just seems to shrug and ignore me.

0 Likes
Robin999
Maestro
Options
Didn't imply you were stupid. A little naive maybe. I don't know exactly what Samsungs scope for accuracy is, but I'm sure they'll argue that a plastic watch is no match for a certified medical device and is in no way intended to serve as otherwise.

In some reports, I've read that readings can be as much as 50% off!

Some info taken from Samsung website.

● Intended for general wellness and fitness purposes only. The measurements are for your personal reference only. Please consult a medical professional for advice.

● should not interpret or take clinical action based on the device output without consultation of a qualified healthcare professional.

Genuinly, I'd be very interested to see the outcome of any legal action taken against Samsung.
blenky
Troubleshooter
Options
I'm not naive either!! I resent the implication!

I've had Samsung watches for years, starting with the Watch Active. All have been reasonably accurate. Acurate enough for activity tracking.

Read my original post. I'm NOT asking for 100% accuracy. In its current state, my expensive watch CANNOT be used at all for activity tracking. Luckily, I have a Watch6 that I got free with my S24U that is within tolerance.
0 Likes
Robin999
Maestro
Options
Still doesn't detract from the fact that it's just a gimmick and in no way represents accurate measurements of bodily functions (including the ones you mentioned). Seriously, I'm not trying to belittle you, I'm genuinely interested in the outcome of any action taken, civil or otherwise, based on Samsungs small print.
0 Likes
blenky
Troubleshooter
Options

The watch was working correctly before the firmware update in March.  Only after that did it go haywire.  So it's a bit disingenuous spouting off about 100% accuracy which has never been claimed or required. 

Activity tracking is not a gimmick (just never 100% accurate) and should not be ridiculously awry as my watch now is

The watch is broken and Samsung are not being fair with me.  

I'm interested in what my consumer rights are here.

0 Likes
Robin999
Maestro
Options
I'm interested too... really.

You ask what your consumer rights are, but the only way you'll find out is to contact trading standards. They'll also be interested in Samsungs claims to accuracy and to what extent the device should be relied upon. (RE their small print). Activity tracking is not a gimmick, agreed, but the equipment used to measure it could be classed as such. Sorry Samsung.