Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Watch Active insane battery drain after update

(Topic created on: 26-05-2020 04:54 PM)
massi93
Journeyman
Options

Hi everyone,

So I own a Watch Active v1 and after this recent update, battery has been really an issue. My set up is an Iphone 8 plus + watch active. It was doing great before the update, I was getting barely 2 days with my personal settings.

Symptoms? Every time I go to sleep with 100% I wake up with 60%-70% (best case scneario). I checked the battery usage and at the top "Samsung Health" appears every day.

After this update, I can't get to a 1 single day. I tried everything:

-resetting and hard resetting watch

-resetting/unistalling galaxy watch app and samsung health from iphone

-setting every single setting from the watch which could  save up battery (brightness , hr measuring, connections etc)

-updating to last version of every app mentioned above

-reading  every thread here to try solutions proposed there

I don't know if eventually this is going to be read by someone at samsung, but if you are going to update your devices without providing a solution after screwing up, at least give us the chance to rollback.

Thanks for reading

49 REPLIES 49
djdrobins
Journeyman
Options

Mine has started to settle down, but I still only get 48hours out of a charge. 
I find that different faces drain faster, I downloaded some good low energy "eco" watch faces and stop using the other ones.

I also found an "Optimise Battery" option when you scroll down from the top top and click on the battery symbol. It will stop all ***** running in the back ground. 
It's down to trimming the fat and removing the unwanted or unused apps, I will never ever use the Benji or Baxi (Siri / Alexa wanna be) and other such apps.

Hope it helps, and it will get better. Sadly I'm now just happy with a 2 day life span, but missing my 7 day Fitbit!!

0 Likes
massi93
Journeyman
Options

I have updated the solution. Please test it if you are experiencing drain issues

0 Likes
TomDav
First Poster
Options

Hi.

I switched from Android to iOS (iPhone 8 issued through work) at the start of the year and immediately my Galaxy Watch Active started draining within 24 hours. I used to get 3-4 days between charges with Android. For a while after switching I kept the phone on battery saving mode to get throught the day but on impulse decided to try normal use again. Surprisingly, the watch was back up to 3+ days between charges. 

Recently, i inadvertantly let the battery drain completely and, after charging it back up , the usage was back down to <24 hours. So frustrating! 

I've tried factory reset, uninstallaing and reinstalling the Wearable and Health apps - nothing seems to remedy it. 

I contacted customer support and they went through the usual checklist:

• Update the software
  • Uninstall/reinstall
  • Factory reset
  • Turn bluetooth off and on

Everything I'd already tried and nothing worked. In the end they suggested that I send the watch back to Samsung for repair, but I'm convinced the issue is not with the watch itself as I have seen that it is capabale of 3+ days use and never had any issues when it was paired with my Andoid. It seems like it's a software or connectivity issue with iOS that's draining the battery so I don't know what sending the watch back will acheive.

I'd be very grateful for any advice from other users that might have exprienced this.

jimw1
Journeyman
Options

Mine seems to be okay on iOS now - as long as I don't use it for tracking an activity.  It's a shame, as it is a good watch + tracker when it works, but I'm nearly at the point of binning it and moving to a Garmin or Fitbit.

0 Likes
LarryB
First Poster
Options

Last week, my phone still had a reasonable amount of power at the end of the day, but afer an update I can watch the battery drop rapidly.  It lasted less than three hours today with zero activity. 

I am worried that Samsung is using up the power by snooping on my phone, and I no longer trust them.  Due to this lack of trust, I recently dropped all four of my family's Samsung phones and purchased iPhones.

0 Likes
Kevbo66
Student
Options

my watch since updating to latest software keeps burning through battery 

0 Likes
Mikmela
First Poster
Options

This is not a solution! Though, glad it worked for u!

I started experiencing the same issue. My galaxy watch is connected to my galaxy S10 phone and used to take me through the entire day easily. I often had another 30-40% the next morning... 

But, after recent update I have to put the watch on the charger in 8-9 hours... And looks like Samsung Health is draining the battery like crazy... like I tried to reset the watch to factory settings and all other things you have mentioned with no success! Samsung moderators please help!

Kirkatroide
First Poster
Options

Exactly the same here with my iPhone 11. Put it on before I went to sleep at 11pm last night at 100% and by 11am this morning I'm at 5%?! No notifications enabled, so using as a basic watch, which is a shame and a waste of money. Hope there's a solution soon.. updated the software a few weeks back which is when battery life started becoming more and more appalling.

0 Likes
BMcG
First Poster
Options
I am suddenly only getting 8hrs from my Samsung Active watch. This started about 4 days ago. I use to get at least 20hrs with notifications on. It was fully charged, not connected to my phone & is now down to 22% within 5.5hrs!!! Any ideas what I can do.. thanks
ps since posting this 5 mins ago, its now 15%. I've not moved.
tbuccelli
Student
Options

I am not the only one I see. After the last update I went from getting 2+ days on watch to less than 8 hours. I cannot make it through the day. If an update doesn't come through soon, I am taking it back to Costco - easier than sending it into Samsung.