Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watch 4 SOS Feature reporting incorrect location

(Topic created on: 14-09-2021 09:13 PM)
Members_qwIWxUk
First Poster
Options

I've just set up the SOS feature on my new Watch 4 (4G 44mm) and been testing it but found that the feature is woefully inadequate as the location provided isn't remotely close to what it should be.

The location given was 2.5km away as the crow flies

I know that my watch had the correct GPS location available as this was visible in the Google Maps application. I also tested multiple times with the exact same result

For obvious reason I won't give my actual GPS co-ordinates, but the below are the elements after the decimal point (prior to that both are correct):

Correct (roughly, likely a few metres away from this exact spot): x.746303,-x.195532

Incorrect: x.768750,-x.192850

As you can see, the discrepancy was more signifcant on the latitude.

I could only find one prior forum post similar about the Watch 3 (https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/wearables/sos/m-p/3475610#M27718) however the suggestion that "GPS only works outdoors" is utterly wrong. If you don't have a strong enough signal due to the building you are in, sure, but most houses and buildings aren't going to impact GPS enough to cause this level of inaccuracy (and as said before, Google Maps on the watch performed fine).

Anyone else seen this? I'm inclined to suspect it's a software fault but would be interested to hear other opinions

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
blenky
Helping Hand
Options
How did you test it? I had SOS set on my Active2 but never tested it! I now have set on my watch 4. I'll then test mine and see what results I get.
0 Likes
Members_qwIWxUk
First Poster
Options

I set up the SOS feature (specifically with 3 family members as text contacts and 1 of those as a call contact), sat in the same room as them so I could let them know it was a test and see the result myself, and then activated the SOS feature by pressing the home button 3 times.

The funny thing is that I tested sharing my location through google maps just a few days prior in the exact same scenario (same room in the same house with same people and devices around me) and that had the exact location shared fine, it is only this SOS feature that decides you are several kilometres away from your actual location.

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options
I just tried this. As test used my works mobile. After pressing home button three times text was sent. Took another 10 second or so to sent link to Google maps. Location was as good as you can expect from GPS. Within about 10 yards. Tried it twice from within my home.
AndrewL
Options

@Members_qwIWxUk: I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. On your watch, try heading to Settings > Location > Improve Accuracy > On, to see if this helps the SOS feature to pinpoint your location.