Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion - changing the method of recognising if watch is on the hand.

(Topic created on: 23-09-2021 01:27 PM)
Kondek85
Pathfinder
Options
Hello,

Could you please consider adding some new way of recognising if I wear my watch? My arm is heavily tattooed, I knew that measurements will be taken occasionally on spot without ink but since I bought Galaxy Watch 4 the problem is that this sensor tells the app if I wear the watch. And in both setting of notifications it does rely on the info if watch is on the hand to send notification.
When my watch movies slighltly to the inked part it's recognised as not worn and I get no notifications at all.

There are only two options there, to show notifications when phone is used or not. But both say that I'll get notifications if I wear the watch. Cause of my tattoo app think I doesn't.

Suggestion is to change this and add some more ways like steps, gyroscope in watch or just some time interval, for example if I set it that if I won't use watch for 25 mins it might be recognised as unworn (or stay on if watch is not at inked part)

Easy to do and would make many people very happy 
27 REPLIES 27
Kondek85
Pathfinder
Options
I believe notifications will be sorted soon as for me it looks like somebody just missed an option to give choice when you want to receive them. I might want to have them when watch is on the table so they should give me that option
For fitness - there's no solution and like I said - it's the technology and it's the same everywhere so with watch 4 it might be the case that it just doesn't fit your tattoo layout. Mine does at some point so no drama. Other hand for fitness could he solution if you have it "clean"
But overall, Samsung can't be blaimed for that, it is what it is and I know other watches are exactly the same, it's just the luck if it's build other way and sensor is in a little bit different position. But still the same sensor. This is how I understand this, I might be wrong of course.

If your primary thing to sort is to get notifications rest assured it will be sorted. I know that this forum is really being considered as important and they honestly do their best to put more ideas into life. One of mine was implemented in the system before so if it's a software related stuff they'll change it soon.
It is pain for me now too so don't think I'm defending them for no reason but I know these guys here and they do the job :winking-face:
0 Likes
Bobr1384
Pioneer
Options

Oh it's 100% Samsung's problem. I've owned 5 previous models of Samsung/Galaxy watches and EVERY single one of them had the notification setting that allowed you to permit your watch to receive notifications even if you weren't wearing it. Samsung chose to remove that setting on the GW4. I spent 2 hours on the phone with support the day the watch was released. They guaranteed me it would be fixed in an update. That update could be tomorrow or a year from now though. It's beyond asinine that they removed that setting. The watch prompts you that alarms and reminders will come through even if the watch isn't being worn, so the software capability is most definitely there. They just need to allow US the option to have ALL notifications to come through even if the watch doesn't "think" it's being worn. Until then, neither of my brand new watches will give me ANY notifications.... it's just an expensive azz step counter in the meantime. 

0 Likes
Bobr1384
Pioneer
Options

In the meantime my watch stay

Screenshot_20210915-013952_Gallery.jpg

s blacked out because my ink has the watch thinking I'm not wearing it....

Kevinrou
First Poster
Options

Please make it possible for tattooed people to have notifications while wearing the watch I've read everywhere on this forum that people have issues so please enable the watch to get notifications even if not on the wrist... It'd getting very very upsetting. Please!

CsanadToth
First Poster
Options

The watch4 doesn't detect that I'm wearing it because of my tattoos, so the notifications don't work. Unfortunately, this makes the watch almost unusable.

Dear Samsung devs! Please restore the "Show only while wearing" option in the notifications settings! If this is not possible (due to a Wear OS limitation?), please find a solution to this common problem!

Bobr1384
Pioneer
Options

I 100% agree. Samsung please bring back the same setting that's been on every one of your watches since 2013 that allowed us to have notifications come through while not wearing the watch. For a lot of us it's the only way we'll ever get notifications. I bought both versions of the watch 4 and right now they're basically useless. Might as well go buy a dollar general wrist watch, it would serve the same purpose. 

0 Likes
LinnSpringer
Apprentice
Options

I have the exact same issue and after over a month disussing back and forward with the support, it dawned on me that it is because of my tattoos. They never suggested that being the problem with me not getting notifications. I think that always getting notifications regardelss if you are wearing the watch or not is a good solution. I had that setting on on my last Galaxy Watch.
Because both of my arms are heavily tattooed and it goes down to my hands, I cannot wear the watch on any other place. I just read here that that is the problem.

Please fix with this simple solution!

Bobr1384
Pioneer
Options

@Samsung - any news on getting this simple issue fixed with an update?! I've now owned both versions of the Galaxy Watch 4 for a month and a half, and still NO notifications. Bring back the basic notification setting that allowed notifications to come through even if you're not wearing the watch. Alarms, reminders, and navigation all come through when the watch isn't being worn, it can't be that difficult to allow us the option for ALL apps. I'm beyond tired of having two new watches that don't serve any purpose other than a vanilla bland Watch and expensive step counter. I should've kept my Galaxy watch 3 at this point.....

Costy07
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem: Sleeve tatto .. so.. no notifications form Galaxy Watch 4 ☹️

I had a Ticwatch previously with WearOS. It had NO such problems. It's not the WearOS, it's Samsnug 😕

Please add the option to send notifications even if the watch is NOT worn!

And please notify me if any news.

Thank you!

0 Likes
Bobr1384
Pioneer
Options

I'm over this new watch COMPLETELY. I've had both versions of the watch 4 almost 3 months now and it's complete B.S. we still can't get notifications. Yeah, I'm not sure if it's Samsung or Google or the combination of the two that's dropped the ball. I've had every Samsung watch since 2013 and every one allowed me to override the "show only while wearing" function, and you mentioned you've had a wear OS watch that I guess allowed the same thing??

I was ready to jump ship last week and make the switch to Icrapple devices. Like I was seriously going to sell my note 20 Ultra, both Galaxy watch 4's, my galaxy tab s7+, my buds pro ALL of it and go to the dark side (apple) but their stupid watch platform doesn't allow notifications with my tattoos either (I tested it with a friend's watch) and as of now you can't allow their notifications to come through while you're not wearing the watch either. 

The only option I see currently is to buy the Galaxy watch 3 (again) as that model still has the notification setting that allows it to work with tattoos. Again, this is 100% complete bullshit @samsung AND @google