Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watch 4 Body Composition Is Dangerously Inacurate

(Topic created on: 30-06-2022 03:11 AM)
Punk_Crow
First Poster
Options

So I just today got my Watch 4 and was pretty excited due to its ability to read stress and heartrate. In that field all seems good, but the Body Composition is another kind of messes up. I've known my body fat % to be somewhere around 20% and 25%. Even visually I can tell when comparing my phisique to photos. I also swim semi-professionally so I know I'm nowhere near obese. As I checked my composition for the 1st time it seemed legit - body fat % was 21%. But the next time I measured after 30 min it was already 35%. Mind I say that it is extremely dangerous to have such inconsistent data presented to teenagers who already struggle with ED's and the perception of their own bodies. If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know.. (I do have a septum piercing, but I'm not sure if it messes with the readings.)

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
I measured mine intermittently after purchasing but have largely not bothered anymore. I didn't believe the claims to begin with, I've read varying reports on the accuracy of the scales that you get that use the same tech to formulate their readings so came to the conclusion that a watch would fair no better, likely worse. I remember one reading in particular where I gained lots of skeletal muscle, lost a big chunk of body fat, and my body water went up slightly in the space of a week and it was so extreme I couldn't take it seriously after that. Also it said something about my rapid weight gain being a concern but as far as I can remember my total weight had only changed by less than 0.5kg. My daily weight can fluctuate by that amount. I'll try find the reading. Just do it for a laugh every now and then. I tried to research if anyone had done tests comparing the watch 4 readings against more accurate forms of composition measurement over time but can only seem to find people comparing it to scales that use the same tech. Even they show an uncomfortable variation in readings.
0 Likes
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
So after looking I can see that actually my weight never changed on the reading I remember. The reading prior to that I lost 2.1kg in 5 days which sounds a lot but I reckon it would have been water weight change if anything. I'm 6'3" / 193cm and around 15.5 stone or roughly 100kg. Dropping 6.2kg body fat, gaining 2.9kg of skeletal muscle and also gaining 3kg of water weight in the space of 11 days when I don't go to the gym is surely impossible?Screenshot_20220630-032627_Samsung Health_265_1656555987.jpgScreenshot_20220630-032803_Samsung Health_267_1656556083.jpgScreenshot_20220630-032851_Samsung Health_269_1656556131.jpg
0 Likes