Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the gear 360 as a pc camera

(Topic created on: 05-12-2020 11:55 PM)
Nij
Explorer
Options

Not sure if you can but it would be great if you could connect your gear 360 to your pc and use it as a camera or webcam and be even better if you could view the stream remotely through a browser or app so you could view the feed from a device outside of your home

Anyone know of anyway to do this or if this is something that may be planned for the future?

28 REPLIES 28
Nij
Explorer
Options

Hey

Thanks for your reply, hadn't heard of OBS but did a google search and is it OBS studio, how does this work then as I think when you connect your gear 360 to your pc, it disables your camera, I've got the 1st gen gear 360 by the way

0 Likes
P_J
First Poster
Options
just answered my own question. Its no good as a webcam. Strike that off my list then
0 Likes
djriel
First Poster
Options

I"m crushed this doesn't work, I thought I was just being dumb.

The 'live' feature only works on youtube if you have 1000 followers, so being able to use it on a desktop to be able to do livestreams on YouTube would be really nice.

I read the suggestion for conference calling as well, I think one in the middle of the room for a remote person to be able to look around the room while the meeting was happening would be bloody brilliant.

You have to update this software, it's such a compelling use case.

Navi2
Journeyman
Options
Yes it is possible but Sansung made it difficult, today all major companies like Canon, Gopro are creating solutions to turn their cameras into WEBcam Sansung could take a leap and simply create a solution so that we can use a camera as a Webcam, however until they resolve I believe you have a solution, just use Action Director to click on live stream and there is an option for customized output where you can place the server that will do the broadcast, this server uses RTMP ready now just find some freeware that create a server that receives this image via RTMP and transform it into a virtual webcam, I believe that there must be some OBS plugin that does this too, but a lighter cam program would be ideal for anyone who can search if they got a program that does this, even a If Sansung decides to put this function, we have to make a lot of noise for them to wake up.
0 Likes
Scaldari
First Poster
Options

At this point, i think the community is going to have to write a driver ourselves. Anyone want to put in on a program bounty? The camera's base code is opensource

Navi2
Journeyman
Options

@Scaldari I'm a candidate, I'm a developer, it would be really cool for us to develop this solution, where can I find the camera code?

caro_27
First Poster
Options

Hello! Fellow gear 360 owner here, I'm no developer but if u need another devices to see if the program works, im all for it. I bought this cam and its so frustating that it doesnt work as webcam, i hope u guys work on a solution! 

0 Likes
PierreDT
Journeyman
Options

Yes please, we need a webcam driver for this camera.

0 Likes
Peter015
First Poster
Options

Has there been any progress on this issue?

0 Likes