Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swimming Crashes Midway

(Topic created on: 05-05-2021 09:36 AM)
NIck C
Apprentice
Options

My Galaxy Watch recently got an update and since then the swimming app prematurely crashes. I usually swim 40 laps and I rely on the watch to keep count, but since the update the app would just totally quit at 20+ or 30+ laps. One moment i would see the counter, and then when i check again the all i see is the main screen. When i go back to swimming it starts a whole new activity.

I have tried hard resetting the watch, but the problem persists. How do i stop this?

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16
NIck C
Apprentice
Options

That is awesome. Do try a few more times and see what happens. It seems that preforming a restart before you swim lowers the chances it will crash, so the real test would be to let the watch run a few days and swim again.

Thank you so much for the update.

0 Likes
Tsasha
Apprentice
Options

2nd update:

Yer so today the watch crashed at 65 lengths.

I have another swim tomorrow, so will update again after that swim..

RickyRocker
First Poster
Options

My Galaxy watch does exactly the same...

Midway through a swim, it just "loses" the training session.

If I then try to reopen the session by clicking on "swim" icon, I get the usual 3,2,1 and it starts an entirely new session.

Really sub standard.

(I have all the latest updates installed)

0 Likes
NIck C
Apprentice
Options

Yep. And there is no permanent fix to this. The only work around is to restart your watch just before your swim session. Just power it off and power it back on. This will make it last till the end of your swim.

0 Likes
RickyRocker
First Poster
Options

@NIck C  thanks very much for the input. Unfortunately I've been trying this, and it works intermittently. Today, I restarted my watch, then swam for just under an hour (54 minutes) and although Samsung health said "13:03 - 13:57" correctly, it said my workout during that period was 00:17:06 minutes. Grrrrr!!!

I did at one point stop for around a minute to get some guidance from my swimming coach and I can only assume that it decided to terminate my workout at that point (without any input from me)

Besides being incredibly annoying from a self-measurement perspective, this very poor behaviour has a financial impact as it negatively impacts financial health incentives offered by my insurance company; today being a case in point as 17 minutes is too little to get the insurance health benefit.

I really am not sure what to do as exercise is the main reason I purchased the watch and, although there are many things I like about it, exercise remains key and I'm really starting to think about ditching it.

0 Likes
NIck C
Apprentice
Options

Yes. I share your frustration on this. I too rely on my watch to count my laps, and on some days it just pauses mid way for no reason. Its like having a child with no attention span on pool duty. I've had it with Samsung, and I'm intending to change over to a Fitbit Charge 5.

0 Likes
RickyRocker
First Poster
Options

@NIck C  - thanks! Have taken a look at the Fitbit Charge 5 and it gets good ratings and looks like good value! I'll be joining you as I can't stand swimming with an unreliable watch.

0 Likes