Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swim Tracking Not Working - No Lap Count or Times

(Topic created on: 06-08-2019 02:18 PM)
Miker69
Explorer
Options

My Gear Sport was uncannily accurate at tracking swim laps, split times, and strokes up until about a week ago. As of about 1-2 weeks ago - about the time I noticed that my watch had clearly experienced a software "update" because the appearance of many of my screens was clearly different than before. . . - my Sport doesn't count a single lap in swimming mode. Nothing. The timer starts, but it just runs continuously until I stop swimming and manually press the Back button to stop it. Total distance and lap counts are both 0. The workout is uploaded to the Samsung Health app on my phone, but it only says that I swam for XX minutes. There is no lap data at all. 

I downloaded the Swim dot com app to my watch and phone. When I use the Swim app, my watch DOES give me a lap count with split times, etc. So, it's NOT a hardware issue with my watch. It's the "updated" Samsung software IN my watch. Software which was working perfectly well before it was "updated" a week or two ago. 

VERY ANGRY about this. Samsung needs to figure this out and revert the software to whatever it was previously - when it worked! 

12 REPLIES 12
Mike3676
Student
Options

Having the same issue in my galaxy watch 42mm. Co tacted Samsung's so called "experts," aka volunteers like that of apple/Microsoft customer help. They refuse to do anything. Already did factory reset and it didnt fix it. After reading other posts it sounds like we need to wait for a new software push. Frankly its pathetic for what these things cost

Miker69
Explorer
Options

I suspect the tech support people on the phones are just as clueless about the issue as you and I (and a bunch of others from what I can tell). At this point, I suspect even the software developers are clueless that their recent "update" screwed up the swim tracking functions. But, that's why it's important for us to post here and let them know. 

I've been called a luddite for it, but I'm a firm believer that once you get software working and doing what it is designed to do that's an excellent time to STOP fixing it! I have no interest in suffering the effects of software "updates" contrived to keep developers employed. 

Mike3676
Student
Options

Has SAMSUNG acknowledged thus issue yet and offered a timeline for fix?

Miker69
Explorer
Options

Neither, as far as I know. 

Spewy
Explorer
Options

I have just wasted 2 hrs talking to customer support but they still refuse to acknowledge the problem and insist that I take my 2 day old Active 2 in for repair (which we all know will be a waste of time)

Has anyone had any success in resolving the issue? 

Miker69
Explorer
Options

Depends on how you define "success" or "resolving the issue". . . 

I've resolved the issue quite successfully by installing swim.com and using that instead of the Samsung software. It's much better than the Samsung swim tracker ever was, so I'm calling that "successfully resolving the issue." 

Spewy
Explorer
Options

Not really an acceptable solution but I'll give it a go. 

Thanks for your reply. 👍🏻

Miker69
Explorer
Options

Believe me, once you've tried swim.com, you'll wonder why you ever used the Samsung app to track swimming in the first place. Swim.com is FAR superior. I agree - Samsung should fix the app, but it doesn't look like they have any intention of doing that. 

Spewy
Explorer
Options
I've installed it and will give it a go tomorrow.
Cheers