Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps suddenly not counting correctly.

(Topic created on: 10-04-2021 04:44 PM)
TNJGB
Navigator
Options

In the last few days my Samsung watch 3 has started not counting steps correctly. I play golf most days and walk to and from the course.  Today after golf the watch says that I have walked 5500 steps. My FitBit says 18,000 steps. I know for a fact that to walk round the golf course  takes about 10,000 steps. I have reset the watch but this makes no difference and all I can assume is that this is related to the recent watch Samsung Health app update.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
TNJGB
Navigator
Options

I have just noticed some other posts and maybe I have a similar problem to others. I have seen that people pushing prams and wheelchairs do not have their steps counted correctly as the wrist motion is not seen as walking, I wonder if pushing a golf trolley has the same issue? Mind you my Fitbit on the other wrist has no issue with this.

TNJGB
Navigator
Options

Tonight I have exercised with two Fitbits, two Samsung Phones and a Samsung Watch, all of which recorded a similar number of steps.  The step count issue seems to affect me when the wrist with the watch sensors is moving at a constant velocity rather than the normal cyclic swinging movement of the wrist when walking. When pushing a golf cart, wheelchair or pram there is no cyclic movement so this is seen as static rather than active. This seems to be more noticeable with the latest Samsung Health Watch App update installed this week which also introduces battery drain.

This video seems to explain part of the problem. http://www.fitness-tracker-help.co.uk/tracker-not-counting-steps.html

But  I have to ask why can my FitBit on my other wrist interpret the movement pushing a wheeled machine as step activity but not Samsung?

CarolainaGi
First Poster
Options

I have been trying to look for a solution after my gear fit 2 stopped counting steps when I go for long walks with my newborn and this makes so much sense!! It stopped working right after I had my baby and now I understand why. It’s because I’m pushing his stroller every time we go out. 

0 Likes
LRobertson128
Student
Options

I have the same problem with my new Watch 4 Classic. I'm wearing a Fitbit as well. I notice that the Fitbit counts my steps and movements around the house but the Watch 4 only does it intermittently. Sometimes it simply does not count for a while and then when it does start counting it does not count all steps. I often stand at my desk and walk/run in place. The Watch 4 also misses most of these even though I am stepping and swinging my arms.

Terribly annoying. I want to love the Watch 4 but this is putting a real damper on it. Especially since it seems that this has been an ongoing problem for a few years!

0 Likes
TNJGB
Navigator
Options

That is disappointing, even though my Watch 3 is only about 6 months old I was considering upgrading to the Watch 4 to cure this problem, but obviously as it still exists there is no point in the upgrade.

0 Likes