Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smarttag

(Topic created on: 05-05-2021 09:26 PM)
SamanthaH
Journeyman
Options

Hi, I was just trying to work out.... With the smart tag I can only locate it when it is near my phone... I thought these were supposed to jump onto nearby devices to be able to be located?

Can someone help please?

Thank you 

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Yes, it's for close range only. It would be cool to have a long range version😎
0 Likes
Steven9761
Troubleshooter
Options
Tile, or Trackr, both have this ability. I accidentally dropped my house keys that had a Tile attached. Somebody found the keys, and handed them into a Tesco branch that was close to where I dropped them. The Tile connected to their instore wifi, and I was able to locate the keys. Mind you, the location map went crazy, because I think the Tile "locked-on" to the Bluetooth of some customer's phones, so it was also indicating that my keys were lying somewhere in the store car park! I think after a while (could be because the signal it had locked on to had moved out of range), the device reconnected to the store WiFi. I went back to the store, and enquired at the customer service desk if a set of keys had been handed in. The girl said she had a few sets of lost keys, so I activated the ringer on the phone app, and my keys were identified. The staff were certainly impressed with this device! They asked about it, and how it works, so I wouldn't be surprised if they bought a couple for themselves.

As an experiment, why don't you leave a smart tag in the desk drawer at work, or with a relative, and see if it connects with the nearest WiFi, then try to locate it at home. I think it should show its location fairly accurately, otherwise its a not-so-smart tag. I think you are able to ring the tag once you are close by, so that you can locate it audibly. I think you can also use the Smart Tag to ring your misplaced phone - Tile and Trackr both have this function.
0 Likes
WelshPaul
Troubleshooter
Options
Pretty sure that the Smart Tag doesn't connect to WiFi. It will only ping via other Galaxy devices using Bluetooth.

My advice comes from being a UK Samsung iPhone user.

Current Devices:
  • iPhone 14 Pro 256GB Deep Purple
  • Samsung Galaxy Buds+ > Model: SM-R175.
0 Likes
Solution
SamanthaH
Journeyman
Options
Yes, that's what I thought.... For some reason to start off with it wasn't using the Bluetooth of the husbands phone to connect with it.... Its on our car keys and set up on my phone but we tried it to see if we could find it when my phone wasn't with the keys and it wasn't working.... For some reason this has now just started working properly..

I was sure that it did it using other galaxy devices so thought I was going mad, but it's now worked!

Thank you ☺️
0 Likes