Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep Apnea

(Topic created on: 22-02-2021 05:03 PM)
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
So I assumed the latest ECG/BP update would give this feature cannot see it.
Regards Obsydian - (Car & Tech Evangelist)

MY DEVICES: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], Buds Pro2, M70A 32 & 43”; [Monitor], Smart Tags, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptop] / FAMILY DEVICES: ZFlip3, ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, S8 Ultra; S7+ [Tablet],  Buds Pro, iPhone 12, iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2 [Tablets] / HOME DEVICES: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears], MC28M6075 and MC32K7055 [Microwave], Jet 75 Complete (Vacuum), Samsung Level [Speaker]
6 REPLIES 6
ghosty
Voyager
Options
you need SpO2 for that rather than ECG/BP don't you?
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Watch3 has Spo2
Regards Obsydian - (Car & Tech Evangelist)

MY DEVICES: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], Buds Pro2, M70A 32 & 43”; [Monitor], Smart Tags, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptop] / FAMILY DEVICES: ZFlip3, ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, S8 Ultra; S7+ [Tablet],  Buds Pro, iPhone 12, iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2 [Tablets] / HOME DEVICES: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears], MC28M6075 and MC32K7055 [Microwave], Jet 75 Complete (Vacuum), Samsung Level [Speaker]
0 Likes
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

I don't recall ever seeing any review mentioning that this device would have any sleep apnea tracking or functionality.  Here is an excerpt from a review page...

"

AllGalaxy Watch 3 models come with a built-in pulse oximeter for measuring blood oxygen levels, or SpO2. Manually recording blood oxygen data from the watch is pretty seamless, though I’ve noticed it does take a few seconds longer than my Fenix 6 Pro. It’s also very touchy in regards to movement. For what it’s worth, the recordings on both Samsung and Garmin devices have been pretty spot on, usually hovering around 97%.

Samsung isn’t trying to detect signs of sleep apnea like some of its competitors, so the pulse oximeter only works for on-demand readings. It can’t run at night while you’re sleeping.

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
ScottTrimble
Journeyman
Options
this is my frustration with an excellent watch in all other aspects. It has sleep tracking and it has SP02 reading (manual). So the hardware is all there. Surely it would just need a software change to combine the two things. Come on Samsung, sort it out!!
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

I think the issue would be with getting the functionality passed through medical testing.  Samsung gained their EU Accreditation for the Blood pressure and ECG montoring and clearly they must conform to strict health standards. 

You can't just implement a feature in a watch without having to jump through hoops with the medical testing and standards.  If it doesn't quite work then it could cause litigations and legal battles.   

And if it mis-reads signs of Apnea, then the NHS would not be thankful with having a host of their Galaxy Watch owners turning up on the doorstep stating that they have Sleep Apnea, when the reality is they are fine, and it is a data misread.  

I suspect the SP02 levels are not consistent and reliable enough to be able to give reliably good data during sleep. 

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
0 Likes
ScottTrimble
Journeyman
Options
yeah, I guess you're right 👍