Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set or adjust stride length to track treadmill runs more accurately (Watch Active2)

(Topic created on: 29-12-2020 06:03 PM)
k3csk3
Student
Options

Dear All,

I've just changed from a Fitbit smartwatch to a Galaxy Watch Active 2 (paired with an A8). For most parts it is a relief and almost everything works sweet, but there is one noteworthy annoyance:

It seems it is not possible to set stride length in Samsung Health or anywhere else on the watch. The distances calculated for all my treadmill runs are a way off from reality (approx. -15% when recorded in MapMyRun app).

On my Fitbit there used to be an option to manually correct the stride length to address this issue (plus when runs were tracked with GPS, it was automatically adjusted), but I cannot find such an option in Samsung Health or anywhere else. Could anyone found a solution for this?

If not, i would appreciate if Samsung devs could address this, because all step-based tracking remains to be largely inaccurate like this with Samsung Watches.

Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16
CynT79
First Poster
Options

I am having the same issue.  On other tracking apps you could go in and adjust distance after. I tried in thr samsung health app but the only option is to delete the whole thing.  VERY frustrating because most of my runs are on a treadmill. 

Piotrek947
Journeyman
Options

Hello. Did you solve this issue? 

k3csk3
Student
Options

Unfortunately no, if any it got even worse and tracking accuracy is 5-10% off sometimes. However, I don't run on treadmill anymore for a while so I cannot confirm or deny if Samsung did anything to address it.

0 Likes
Juergen7
Student
Options

Hi I have the same issue.

The Stride Length is totally set wrong - although I entered my correct size in the App.

Probably Samsung internal calculations still assume I am a 1,5m tall Korean but I am a 1,93m tall German. 

My Running Machine was set to 15km/h for 30min resulting in 7.5km.

My Galaxy Watch 4 showed an average of 8,8 km/h and 4,46km.

It should be rather easy to allow a corrective factor to calibrate stride length to match reality.

TheRealSoosh
First Poster
Options

Just echoing others on here to report the same issue. Hopefully Samsung devs see this and implement a software fix to let users correct treadmill distances somehow. I also mostly run on the treadmill (during winter especially) and sucks to not be able to track this accurately with the GW4.

OrezBib
Apprentice
Options

I face Similar issue.

On 4.7 km run the Watch Active 2 measures only 3.7 km - that's 21% error !

Much more than the reasonable acceptable tolerance.

With Garmin Watch the measurements were fairly accurate.

Samsung - please wake up and address this issue.

OrezBib
Apprentice
Options

Hi,
I got a response from Samsung support regarding this issue.
Shockingly, they say that maybe the treadmill is incorrect, or the user run is incorrect, or both, but it is NOT the watch measurements of the run which is incorrect ! 🤯.
They even wrote that I can run on a treadmill set to 12 km/h but actually run at a lower speed ! This is amazing, apparently new physics was discovered here !
I disagree with that and think someone at Samsung needs to repeat Physics class...

Anyway, it seems i would need to find another solution for treadmill runs, the Galaxy watch is not the right choice.

funasagran
First Poster
Options

I came on here as my mile on my treadmill was measured at .43 of a mile, this morning 1.5 miles outside was measured at .44 of a mile, not much good if it's not accurate and you cant manually change it. 

0 Likes
Xaq
Apprentice
Options

I recently bought a Watch 5 Pro and same issue. 3.1 miles on treadmill, watch calculated 2.72 miles. I need a way to either adjust the distance or the stride length. Just changed from Fitbit where I was able to update stride length, so this is annoying. Come on Samsung 

0 Likes