Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Watch battery draining RAPIDLY!

(Topic created on: 06-01-2022 07:53 PM)
Laura136
Journeyman
Options
Ive had my Samsung watch for around 2 months and have used it the same way everyday. I charge it after work at teatime, pop it back on my wrist as I go to bed and the battery still has charge the following teatime. However, the last 2 days the battery has died before lunchtime and I can't work.out why. I have the display on the lowest setting , the screen isn't set to stay on either. This evening I reset the watch hoping this would help but it hasn't, the battery is still draining. I took it off charge at 6.30pm, it is on 58% already and I've barely touched it.

‎7:47 PM

57 REPLIES 57
NeilFerguson
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem Active 2 watch, I have tried restarting, resetting, reinstalling, updating, remove apps, turning stuff off (what’s the point here then, smartwatch no more). Today I installed a new battery myself, I am handy that way, still exactly the same. Does not hold a charge for more than a few hours. I have had this watch for a few years and it only started this carry on about 2 months ago. I have tried everything and nothing has fixed this issue. It’s basically useless. Samsung, please advise, brilliant watch until this happened, now it’s a relic

S  Brooks
Apprentice
Options

Same exact thing happening with me. I've done everything I could find online to troubleshoot.  Still nothing. When the watch is disconnected from the phone app, no rapid drain.  As soon as I connect it back, rapid drain.  This has been a recent problem for me as well. I've done  nothing different either 

0 Likes
S  Brooks
Apprentice
Options

Thank you. I've done all these. Placing it in power saving mode helps, but defeats the purpose of why I got this particular watch. I got it so I could use the features.  I  could have bought another watch considerably less expensive if I only wanted the power saving options only. I'm not getting the value for my money in this current state.

S  Brooks
Apprentice
Options

I agree also. Sending  it back doesn't seem to make sense to me either.  There's obviously something wrong with the app or some type of built in defect with the watch.  These many people shouldn't  be having this oddly specific problem 😡

Members_nJDTRTy
First Poster
Options

Its good to read your responses. I've Watch 4 and was delighted at first to be able to use it on the golf course, but now it doesn't last a round, Ive had it 2 months. Samsung support suggested 2 different apps but didn't suggest reboot but I shall try that. The trouble is I don't know what works until I'm playing golf !!

0 Likes
SylviaM1
First Poster
Options

Have the same issue. Haven't changed the way I use it at all. 100% battery only lasts about 5 hours now. Watch is less than 2 months old. Not impressed.

PabsRuns
First Poster
Options

Samsung. Please resolve asap. This is unacceptable. My Samsung Watch (1), lasted like 2 -3 longer than this garbage (Watch 4 Classic). 

KimMSr
First Poster
Options

I am having the same issue since last week; I wonder if it was an update that is causing the drain. I even shut off all notifications. 

0 Likes
Blondie0389
First Poster
Options

I've had my watch since April 2020 and have used it the same way since. Just last week it started dying within a few hours! I even put it on at 100% last night and it died before I woke up!!!! Last update was January. Why!?!!! 

0 Likes
GregCem
First Poster
Options

I had this issue for about 2 months but finally decided to get to the bottom of it. 

In my case, the watch battery was drained by the Bluetooth communication with the phone. I discovered that when I switched on the airplane mode on the watch, the battery level was dropping much slower. 

Motivated by my frustration and the posts above I've spent some time yesterday solving the issue and this is what I've found.

In the Galaxy Wear application, I've noticed that the phone was regularly (every ~30-40 secs) reconnecting to the watch. That got me thinking and I formed the hypothesis that something was breaking the communication so it had to be re-established frequently. Each such operation takes a significant amount of energy and that would explain the battery drain. 

I didn't know how to test that hypothesis but I've done the following:

1. In the phone settings, I have stopped Galaxy Wear app and cleared all its data
  2. Did the same to Gear S Plugin
  3. Did the same to Samsung Accessory Service
  4. Reset my watch by selecting "connect to new phone" in the settings
  5. Launched Galaxy Wear and paired the watch again.

During the pairing process, I was asked whether I would like to TURN OFF battery optimisation for the Gear S Plugin and the accessory service. I said YES, completed pairing, and left the watch to charge overnight.

Today, by the end of the day my watch is still 84% loaded which is an amazing difference compared to yesterday. 

Now, the explanation is, that either android itself or various system optimisers can turn the battery-saving settings ON for services like Gear S Plugin or accessory service. But it actually has the opposite effect. Those energy-saving features start managing the application putting it to the background of even closing. In case of those communication services that results with the need to re-establish the connection and, therefore, higher energy needs. 

So, in my case, the solution to the problem was to TURN OFF energy-saving options for Gear S Plugin and Samsung Accessory Service.