Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

samsung S7 oreo update issues

(Topic created on: 08-05-2018 08:45 PM)
fredblogg
Apprentice
Options

Hi

I downloaded the new update this morning and started the install on my galazy S7 it is now 9 HOURS LATER and it is still installing !! whats going on with this thing my phone is now useless can't do anything with it !!!

Andy

0 Likes
91 REPLIES 91
magsiesss
Journeyman
Options

I would suggest you contact Samsung (perhaps via Twitter).  My phone was collected today. 

0 Likes
Cov
Journeyman
Options

@mjm2705 wrote:

Does anyone know how to initiate a hard (factory) reset while the phone is stuck in the boot loop?

Mine doesn't appear to want to switch off and therefore the usual Home -Vol Up- Power combo doesnt appear to work!

Happy to wipe it to get it working but it won't let me!!!

Vol-down and power  WITH THE PHONE CHARGING will turn the phone off from the flashing Samsung logo. With the phone not charging it does a soft reset

mjm2705
Student
Options

Sorted!  Hard reset done and restoring now ...

magsiesss, I would suggest having it collected by Samsung as a last resort to anyone ... I have an issue with Galaxy Tab S2 tablet and its been back to their UK service centre (Anovo) seven times and its still not working (on its way back as we speak) ... incompetent clowns!

zayter
First Poster
Options

I'm having the same issue.

I noticed the update rolled out on my S7 Edge (bought March 2016) in the UK two days ago (6th May 2018).

Yesterday I saw the Oreo update and got a bit excited and pressed install and thought nothing more of it.

I then woke up to find my phone stuck on the pulsing Samsung wording with the blue/light blue LEDs.

It's also ridiculously hot and eating battery so I've put it on charge on top of a laptop fan, because I can't turn it off no matter which troubleshooting method I try.

I wonder if this happened to any S8 users, or is it Samsung reminding us to upgrade by getting our S7 batteries hot and sweaty in the early summer, rinsing them of their last few hundred remaining charge cycles. HAH! It's all a conspiracy :smileylol: :smileylol: :smileylol:

0 Likes
Tamandua
First Poster
Options

On the other hand, my S7 upgraded without problems.

Without any denominator data to indicate the proportion of people who have run into difficulties, it is unreasonable to blame Samsung. If there were a fundamental problem with the upgrade, surely all would experience it. Also, as the problem is so extreme, it would have been detected in the most cursory pre-release testing had it occurred with any material frequency.

Is the problem therefore related to some setting or app common to all the complainants?

0 Likes
Cybervision
Explorer
Options

I understand what you are saying and obviously we don' have those figures which would be good to make a judgement. I do think though that when I went to the Samsung repair centre and they stated that they were having lots and lots of people coming in after the update and that they advised me to stay in 7.0 as "8 just doesn' look stable on older models", I would say that it's a fair assumption to make that Samsung may have rolled this out with their flagship models in mind and maybe not looked so closely in how it would effect the slightly older models.

It would be nice if Samsung put something out about the issue so others didn' fall in to the same trap..

0 Likes
MR-JDAM
Student
Options

I respect your opinion, and believe that Samsung would have done its duty of care when testing the software, however my phone was working pefectly the other day, and an update which essentially is forced upon my phone with a constant 'Update' message, should have not been allowed out.

I have managed to update fully now, and have full use of the device, so i agree that we all probably have an app(s) that are causing it to break. When the device was stuck in the boot cycle, every so often a white box would appear which said "Optimizing app ** out of 60"

I have had a Samsung now for many years, and something like this is not going to stop me from using their products, as I never have had any issues. I am just annoyed that I lost every photo and video but parry that onto myself for not backing anything up. 

0 Likes
Cybervision
Explorer
Options

As I mentioned before the store sorted my phone and reverted it back to android 7.0 I checked for updates the day after and the new 8.0 was still coming up to udate. Today I've checked and they have withdrawn it on OTA 

0 Likes
chris1123
Journeyman
Options

I emailed the CEO and asked for compo.

Cov
Journeyman
Options

I called Vodafone at the weekend and received a callback from them yesterday morning

The technician told me that he had just over 100 calls to make that day regarding this problem, that there were 5 other technicians on the calls as well with a similar workload, and that Samsungs message to them was to advise not to install it as there is a bug which they are trying to rectify. He also admitted that he didn't know what was the trigger for the bug but that it definitely does not affect every S7.

Mine now is working on 8.0.0 with no problems or glitches

0 Likes