Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

samsung S7 oreo update issues

(Topic created on: 02-05-2018 10:53 PM)
fredblogg
Apprentice
Options

Hi

I downloaded the new update this morning and started the install on my galazy S7 it is now 9 HOURS LATER and it is still installing !! whats going on with this thing my phone is now useless can't do anything with it !!!

Andy

0 Likes
91 REPLIES 91
Cybervision
Explorer
Options

I received the update 1/5/18 OTA from Samsung on my S7 edge and now my phone won't boot up. It gets stuck on the Samsung wording, it won't switch off either. I've tried soft reset and wiping cache but nothing. When in recovery part of android it says it can't find some partition. Luckily I'm just within the two year warranty and having to travel miles to a Samsung repair centre to see if they can rectify without them wiping my entire phone. Anyone else had this issue? I am going to be very unhappy if I lose all my content.

fredblogg
Apprentice
Options

Hi cybervision 

Unfortunately  I tried everything possible to get this sorted sadly it couldn't be done and I had no choice but to do a hard reset, I hadn't done a backup so lost everything and had to start again, I had never had a problem before with updates so when it popped up in my face I never gave it a 2nd thought and went straight for the install. unfortunately I paid the price sorry I can't give you any hope of you keeping your data if you have the same problem as me, which it sounds like you have.

Regards

Andy

0 Likes
Kermit
First Poster
Options

Same probs here- we have a number of S7 and S7 Edges all requiring complete factory reset after taking the Oreo update.

0 Likes
redsquirrel
First Poster
Options

Same here, I let the battery go flat, booted up into recovery mode, and eventually got a working system back - lost all the data of course

0 Likes
andre-20
Apprentice
Options

The same here. My s7 hung at the SAMSUNG blinking screen. I left if for 2h and it was the same. Then restarted the phone (soft) and wiped out the cache. Reboted, didn't help. Then reset the phone to factory settings, loosing all private data. Started working. Also can't pair my Gear s3 frontier 😞 The oreo update wasn't tested corectly. Update, functional and integration testing ... something was skipped there.

PHILLIPD1234
First Poster
Options

Hello

I have had the same problem with my S7 Edge . I have been to a local phone shop inthe hope of backing up my data before a factory reset but it would not work. Only option is a full reset where I will loose many audio cds ie David Attenborough, email settings, contact notes  and wi fi settings. 

How was this allowed to happen and can we claim any compensation from Samsung ?

0 Likes
Cybervision
Explorer
Options

Well I went with my phone to Leicester shop and my partners today. I had updated it and stuck in boot loop and my partner luckily hadn't updated hers. They tried to rectify my phone with complete reflash but came up with error they think the update has done something to the mother board. 

My partners they backed up to SD card, wiped her phone and did a direct update to Oreo which appears to work. I had to leave my phone with them. I picked my phone up this evening and they had fixed it, however they had only put on the phone android 7. This is what was on it before I upgraded. They said Oreo had been withdrawn at the moment due to so many issues with s7. I queried how their morning staff had upgraded my partners phone to Oreo and they couldnt give me an answer. So I've lost all my.app data to get the same android I'd previously had. I said I felt like I'd got nothing in return other than me having to pay for petrol and parking twice.  They had the cheek to say well we have fixed your phone. I said but you were the ones that broke it with your update. I feel sorry for the people who are just out of warranty as they said they would have charged me if I was out of warranty. I can't believe that Samsung would treat people like this if they know it was their issue. 

The one good bit of advice they gave me was to use Samsung smart switch where you can back up your phone contents to your sd card.. I just thought it was for transferring one phone details to another one but it's  not, you can also put smart switch on your computer and back up to that too, to prevent any future data loss. Smart switch is under settings, cloud and accounts, smart switch then select external storage. Hope this helps someone 

magsiesss
Journeyman
Options

Not very helpful response from admin at all.

Soft reset does not work and screen just goes black with bluetooth light showing.  Not ipressed.

Now looking to see how to do a hard re-set.

0 Likes
Cybervision
Explorer
Options

For info. They wiped my phone and tried to directly put Oreo on it. It went in but when  they checked my phone there was an error showing. The believed it may be the mother board that had been damaged by the update they said so they changed the mother board on mine and then put it back to 7. May be best to take it in to one if the Samsung repair centres if you are in warranty? Good luck with resolving

0 Likes
Cybervision
Explorer
Options

Also I checked yesterday and my phone now that I am back to android 7 had the same update for 8 available. I spoke to Samsung repair shop and he suggested don' update until a more stable update is out there or it may all happen again. I'e screen shorted the update they are killing people' phone with and will wait until the build changes.

0 Likes