Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Health Update - permission to make and manage phone calls?

(Topic created on: 17/04/21 23:32)
Tony_B
Explorer
Options
Wearables

I have just been prompted to update the Samsung Health app.

During the process it requested permission to "make and manage phone calls"

Why does it need this?

So far I have denied this permission, the app upgrade process does not complete, and I cannot revert to the existing version.

So I am stuck until I give permission for something that I do not understand.

Can anyone advise why this permission is required?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
GoanGeek
Voyager
Options
Wearables
I guess if you have a watch which can make phone calls then it can use it with all the other functions .

View solution in context

8 REPLIES 8
Solution
GoanGeek
Voyager
Options
Wearables
I guess if you have a watch which can make phone calls then it can use it with all the other functions .

View solution in context

papashaun
Smooth Operator
Options
Wearables
Don't know why it needs it - I gave it the initial permission so the app worked then immediately went in to Settings- Apps - Samsung Health and removed the phone permission and the app still works
Tony_B
Explorer
Options
Wearables

Yes - silly me...I had forgotten that the Watch 3 can accept and make calls, without having to touch the phone.

Note to self:  Do not attempt anything technical after consuming alcohol whilst enjoying the sunshine...;-)

GrumpyG33k
Options
Wearables

The watch is not the issue, it's the fact that they want the health app to manage your phone calls. that to me is a no way!

Papashaun provides a good workaround.

As customers we should not need to do this and Samsung should really help us with our privacy rather that exploit it.

I just hope that it was a mistake, someone may have left the mandatory all permissions ticked.

Will have to look for a new fitness app now.

I think Samsung has behaved shockingly on this, I think everyone has increased their fitness during the lockdowns and are doing what they can to measure progress.

Very unhappy.

Beamma
Options
Wearables

I think it's because they use it for the 2 Factor Authentication, they force you to set up next.

0 Likes
Options
Wearables

Wrong answer.

Where is the official explanation?
My old samsung watch has used the telephone to make calls for years without this permission - and synced exercise data.

Others suggest that samsung is looking for an unique ID for selling marketing data.

Bad behaviour from samsung.

Now looking for an alternative.

0 Likes
SteveM51UK
Options
Wearables
Just to say, that tip worked for me too. Thanks for posting it.
0 Likes
VickyVey
Options
Wearables
I'm uninstalling any app that wants full permission
0 Likes