Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung Health Update - permission to make and manage phone calls?

(Topic created on: 16-05-2021 11:21 AM)
Tony_B
Pioneer
Options

I have just been prompted to update the Samsung Health app.

During the process it requested permission to "make and manage phone calls"

Why does it need this?

So far I have denied this permission, the app upgrade process does not complete, and I cannot revert to the existing version.

So I am stuck until I give permission for something that I do not understand.

Can anyone advise why this permission is required?

25 REPLIES 25
Tony_B
Pioneer
Options

I thought the same when I first saw the request, however.....

1.  You can make telephone calls via the watch (and receive them) - therefore, if using a non-sim equipped watch, it must do this via your phone.

2.  The fall detection/emergency call function needs to access the phone number associated with the emergency contact that you identify.

0 Likes
TheArchetect
Navigator
Options

Well it worked before without having to know my number and all my contacts. I never phone from my watch but do use the emergency contact

BalloonPark
First Poster
Options

To everyone saying "oh your watch can make calls", this permission should be handled by the Galaxy Wearable and Galaxy Watch Plugin apps and I have already given them permission to make calls. By the way, why do I need 3 separate apps to use a smart watch?

Samsung health never needed this permission before, and I find it very shady. I was able to use papashuan's work around and deny the phone call permission after accepting the new terms.

OlatheSunflower
Student
Options

The app should not  ask for permission without giving a reason for the need.  It also shouldn't prevent you from using features in the app that don't require a phone call.

kevin in Atlanta
Journeyman
Options

Papashaun gave the perfect response which is to give permissions and install and then remove the permissions afterwards.

Samsung expects us to all be devotees and enthusiasts and to do everything the Samsung way.  Samsung has very little regard for free thinking self-reliant Americans.

I have similar annoyances with my Samsung television and have refused to allow certain features to operate because Samsung wants to take over my life.

Thank you Papashaun for your perfect answer

0 Likes
awgiedawgie
First Poster
Options

You can already use all the functions of the watch - including making and receiving phone calls - even without the Samsung Health app on a phone. 

0 Likes
awgiedawgie
First Poster
Options

2 Factor Authentication has nothing to do with making phone calls. 

0 Likes
Rayn1
Journeyman
Options

Folks, this is NOT a solution!! Please read the message below for more information:

----

WARNING!!!! Do NOT give consent to any app, including the new Samsung Health app, to **bleep** your phone number (or camera or microphone) when it is not necessary. This is a prime example of an attempt at invasion of privacy.  Over the last couple of years I have had to put up with a forced OS update from Samsung that has crippled various features of my Galaxy S8 that I PAID FOR and now they are using the Samsung Health app as a spy vector to identify you and your activities. 

The "Israeli" spyware firm NGO has agents inside various high tech companies like Samsung and are likely using the Samsung Health app as another vector to identify you in order to match your identity with your phone/GPS activities (which the Samsung Health app does keep track of).  More info at these links:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_(spyware)

https://citizenlab.ca/2018/09/hide-and-seek-tracking-nso-groups-pegasus-spyware-to-operations-in-45-...

This is SERIOUS folks! People, including media company professionals/journalists have been murdered using the  information stolen by NGO's Pegasus spyware.

I heard one person in the forums here mention that you can "click th eContinue button"  to grant the Samsung health app permission and then immediately disable the permission after activating the health app, but this is NOT a solution! As soon as you click the Continue button, they have your ID/phone number and the deed is finished.  You can Download the Google Health app instead but unfortunately Samsung only allows the Samsung Health app to access certain sensors including the Samsung phones built in Heart Monitor, but you can use other third party apps which use the phone's camera to take your pulse instead (if you trust the app's developers)

The Galaxy S8 will be my last Samsung for this reason and the fact that they disabled various call features during the FORCED Android 10 update.  

Rayn1
Journeyman
Options

Folks, this is NOT a solution! Please read the comment below:

WARNING!!!! Do NOT give consent to any app, including the new Samsung Health app, to **bleep** your phone number (or camera or microphone) when it is not necessary. This is a prime example of an attempt at invasion of privacy.  Over the last couple of years I have had to put up with a forced OS update from Samsung that has crippled various features of my Galaxy S8 that I PAID FOR and now they are using the Samsung Health app as a spy vector to identify you and your activities. 

The "Israeli" spyware firm NGO has agents inside various high tech companies like Samsung and are likely using the Samsung Health app as another vector to identify you in order to match your identity with your phone/GPS activities (which the Samsung Health app does keep track of).  More info at these links:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_(spyware)

https://citizenlab.ca/2018/09/hide-and-seek-tracking-nso-groups-pegasus-spyware-to-operations-in-45-...

This is SERIOUS folks! People, including media company professionals/journalists have been murdered using the  information stolen by NGO's Pegasus spyware.

I heard one person in the forums here mention that you can "click th eContinue button"  to grant the Samsung health app permission and then immediately disable the permission after activating the health app, but this is NOT a solution! As soon as you click the Continue button, they have your ID/phone number and the deed is finished.  You can Download the Google Health app instead but unfortunately Samsung only allows the Samsung Health app to access certain sensors including the Samsung phones built in Heart Monitor, but you can use other third party apps which use the phone's camera to take your pulse instead (if you trust the app's developers)

The Galaxy S8 will be my last Samsung for this reason and the fact that they disabled various call features during the FORCED Android 10 update.  

TheArchetect
Navigator
Options

I was going to succumb and update Samsung Health but failed at the first hurdle! During the verification process the app asks for your mobile number, which I enter, then wait for the verification code. The text is slow but comes within 2 minutes. However whilst there should be time to add the code there is no way of doing so because as you tap the screen no text / number can be entered.  No keyboard comes up. Has the app timed out? What am I doing wrong?

0 Likes