Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung Health Update - permission to make and manage phone calls?

(Topic created on: 22-04-2021 04:29 PM)
Tony_B
Pioneer
Options

I have just been prompted to update the Samsung Health app.

During the process it requested permission to "make and manage phone calls"

Why does it need this?

So far I have denied this permission, the app upgrade process does not complete, and I cannot revert to the existing version.

So I am stuck until I give permission for something that I do not understand.

Can anyone advise why this permission is required?

25 REPLIES 25
Solution
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I guess if you have a watch which can make phone calls then it can use it with all the other functions .
papashaun
Troubleshooter
Options
Don't know why it needs it - I gave it the initial permission so the app worked then immediately went in to Settings- Apps - Samsung Health and removed the phone permission and the app still works
Tony_B
Pioneer
Options

Yes - silly me...I had forgotten that the Watch 3 can accept and make calls, without having to touch the phone.

Note to self:  Do not attempt anything technical after consuming alcohol whilst enjoying the sunshine...;-)

GrumpyG33k
First Poster
Options

The watch is not the issue, it's the fact that they want the health app to manage your phone calls. that to me is a no way!

Papashaun provides a good workaround.

As customers we should not need to do this and Samsung should really help us with our privacy rather that exploit it.

I just hope that it was a mistake, someone may have left the mandatory all permissions ticked.

Will have to look for a new fitness app now.

I think Samsung has behaved shockingly on this, I think everyone has increased their fitness during the lockdowns and are doing what they can to measure progress.

Very unhappy.

Beamma
First Poster
Options

I think it's because they use it for the 2 Factor Authentication, they force you to set up next.

Oppressed_by_Sumsang
First Poster
Options

Wrong answer.

Where is the official explanation?
My old samsung watch has used the telephone to make calls for years without this permission - and synced exercise data.

Others suggest that samsung is looking for an unique ID for selling marketing data.

Bad behaviour from samsung.

Now looking for an alternative.

SteveM51UK
Apprentice
Options
Just to say, that tip worked for me too. Thanks for posting it.
VickyVey
First Poster
Options
I'm uninstalling any app that wants full permission
TheArchetect
Navigator
Options

There is a long list of bad reviews from Play Store on this update to Samsung Health App.  Why would anyone give permissions to a company  to access all your contacts and use your phone? Seems Samsung want to take over my life and know everything about me. Very poor official response from Samsung in the reviews. And no official response from Samsung here.

Samsung you have lost a loyal customer. Not buying any more phone watches and tvs from you.