Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Health to Strava isn't correct

(Topic created on: 31-03-2020 04:37 PM)
SamLeSolide
Explorer
Options

Hi developers,

My galaxy watch active 2 (46) is really good.

The main issue is that when Samsung Health send my data to Strava, the global running time isn't correct anymore.

My last run of today : Samsung Health 30min40 and Strava says 25min44. Any idea why there is a difference in the time ?

For me clearly Samsung Health is right and data get wrong when going to Strava.

Thanks in advance for your support

Screenshot_20200331-173026_Samsung Health.jpgScreenshot_20200331-173214_Strava.jpg

302 REPLIES 302
nycoy
Explorer
Options

@Liaan wrote:

nycoy, you are correct, when Samsung health sync's with Strava it does NOT send a GPX file. The strava API has quite a few file formats that it can accept but Samsung health chooses to send a TCX file. Its possible to retreive the actual TCX file from Strava.

Looking at a TCX file that Samsung sent, it is clear that the files do not conform to the TCX standard. The files have 'TrackPoints' with heartrate data but missing GPS coordinates. It appears it is this that causes Strava to assume you were stationary from the previous track point which I assume results in Strava having the big gap between elapsed time and moving time. 

Thanks for that @Liaan . I'd not seen that option to export the Original TCX. This file does contain everything... GPS, Speed, Cadence, Heart rate

I can see you are right. For my last run, most Trackpoints included GPS coordinates but not all. (And some trackpoints literally only have the heart rate and nothing else...!) If that means Strava interprets them as a stationary segment that could explain it.

I have High Accuracy set for my runs and cycle rides so I thought that would log a GPS tag for every point, but I guess maybe not.

When I get chance I'll try and compare the GPX and TCX data for a recent run and see if I can spot specifically where it is going wrong. 

Based on all of this I would assume that ALL the GPX points are logged as Trackpoints, but there will probably be extra Trackpoints that do not contain GPX coordinates and these are causing the anomaly. 

0 Likes
MirceaForce
Navigator
Options

report via samsung members app 

0 Likes
bearface
First Poster
Options

To be fair, I'm only at the 8k to 10k runs (no runs pre lockdown) and I'm only happy to see progress and SH gives me that. For the more serious runner I can see your point. But like I said its not the watch or SH that needs to change as they are designed to work with each other. Maybe the SH app could be adapted for a more strava experience, which would be cool if it was. 

Hope you are keeping safe and well

0 Likes
bearface
First Poster
Options
I was only introduced to Strava recently, but noticed that my runs were a good deal shorter than the actual distance. Using Google maps along side my watch and SH I was only getting very tiny discrepancies this morning strava showed a big difference. It isn't proof but there is an error somewhere.
0 Likes
Skully14
Explorer
Options

See message sent to one of the Mods.

Skully14
to AntS Moderator
2 minutes ago

Samsung Health to Strava isn't correct.

Ant we communicated 4 weeks ago about the above thread.

Lots of watch users have added to the issue, all about the same frustrating issue.I

I personnaly reported 2 errors through my phone app, no reply or feedback.

Can you find out if there is any movement in fixing the issue, or will we have to accept this is the way it is between Samsung and Strava?

Cheers Ian

0 Likes
bearface
First Poster
Options
My fault, I apologise. I was always late to the party
0 Likes
maverick1103
Pioneer
Options
Anyone using Gear Tracker at all? I know this was mentioned early on in this thread, I've switched to GT and much prefer it to SH, except that it doesn't sync with SH and only Strava but the Strava data seems a lot more accurate.
0 Likes
mjcowell
First Poster
Options

Does anyone have a ticket number or anything for this, or a name of who in Samsung is looking at it? I'm in Samsung (although in chip design, not the mobile division). I might try and help out if I can since I'm also experiencing this issue on my watch...

0 Likes
Liaan
Journeyman
Options

Hi mjcowell! As far as i am aware no one actually has a ticket number. 

0 Likes
mjcowell
First Poster
Options

Ok understood. I'll see what I can do. I actually worked on the Exynos 9110 so would like to see the watch do well, but I'm a long way from the app developers as far as the org works. If I had a name it would help a lot.

0 Likes