Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Health to Strava isn't correct

(Topic created on: 13-07-2020 10:26 PM)
SamLeSolide
Explorer
Options

Hi developers,

My galaxy watch active 2 (46) is really good.

The main issue is that when Samsung Health send my data to Strava, the global running time isn't correct anymore.

My last run of today : Samsung Health 30min40 and Strava says 25min44. Any idea why there is a difference in the time ?

For me clearly Samsung Health is right and data get wrong when going to Strava.

Thanks in advance for your support

Screenshot_20200331-173026_Samsung Health.jpgScreenshot_20200331-173214_Strava.jpg

302 REPLIES 302
Arie67
Navigator
Options

S_Heatlh has its own data. Nevertheles, S_Health is offering a Connection Service to Strava. The service should not simple foward original data, but als take care of the format which is required by Strava. That's something the Connection Service should do. That's part of what a additional service is meant for.

AndreGomez
Journeyman
Options

I used this app to transfer a lot of my races recorded on Nike Running Club app. Works flawless to me. It's a shame Samsung Health uses a different methodology to record all statistics.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Jared17ds
Explorer
Options

@Arie67 wrote:

You can use Strava App on watch directly instead of S-Health. It works fine and is syncing to Strava correctly. However, the app had bugs in the recent past and has limited functions, screens are not configurable and for me it is hard to read.

S-Health is offering a connection service to Strava. So, you can use S-Health on watch and data will be synced to your Strava account. Unfortunately, data synced via this service is not correctly presented in Strava. Moving Time is not correct, and therefore Pace is incorrect. This is the annoying issue, ignored by Samsung.

In S-Health you can export GPX file and you can import this manually to Strava account. Then data is correctly presented in Strava.

As an alternative for S-Health and Strava apps on watch, I now use GearTracker which meets all my needs. I was inspired by this posting. Also, there is a very helpful tutorial on YouTube.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/bgros26334/board/message?board.id=uk-wearables&message.id=14216#M14...

HI @Arie67 can you please explain how to export the GPX file and import it to strava i tried it and its still inaccurate, please tel me the steps i must follow to get it to reflect corretly? 

0 Likes
Arie67
Navigator
Options

In S-Health on your phone, you go to Recent Trainings. Here you see a list of your trainings for the last 30 days. Choose one of you trainings. The Training details starts with a map and shows your route. In this screen, you must scroll to the bottom. Here I have a button to Export GPX file. This is on a Samsung phone. I know not all devices have export function availble. On iPhone this export button is missing.

Screenshot_20200713-103641_Samsung Health.jpg20200713_103741.jpgq

Via My Files, you need to find the file. Internal Storage -> S Health -> GPX. Here you'll find your GPX file. Email this file to your computer.

On you computer go to Strava.com and login. Top right on the screen there is a Plus (+) button where you can choose Upload. Next you can choose you own GPX file.

image.png

0 Likes
amallagh
Explorer
Options

@amallagh wrote:

While we all wait impatiently for Strava and Samsung to fix the upload compatibility issue between Samsung Health and Strava, we all have some sort of partial workaround that at least allows us to get some elemnet of accurate data onto Strava.

I think for most of us then distance and time are the most important, probably followed by pace and heart rate and then maybe cadence

Certainly when I bought the Active2, it was its integrated heart rate monitor that was a key feature as I hated wearing a chest strap.

Couple of questions - Has the latest edition of the Strava watch app sorted the data upload issue re accuracy of distance, time and pace ?

Problem with this of course is that there is no heart rate monitoring annd the functionality of the Strava App is appaling.  Can't read the screen on the go as it is too small, no screen customisation and I still haven't figured out how to stop it measuring before you are sure it has acquired a good GPS signal. All in all the Strava watch app has the worst functionality of all the options.

I see from post on here that some people are separately uploading GPX files. Surprised this works to be frank but what a faff and a bridge too far for me. Never mid  the fact that the basic GPX file only includes location and time data so even worse then the Strava watch app as an option.

Samsung have recently issued a Samsung Health App update  but this has sorted nothing regarding the Strava upload issue we are all having.

My own workaround is the GearTracker App which I think is the best workaroud in that it does give prety accurate distance, time and heart rate data when uploaded to Strava when using 'GT Timing'  setting, and it does it all automatically without any manual input.

The GearTracker app is infinitely configurable and the designer has really gone to town on what you can see on the watch with easy switch between fully configurable screens on the go.  Post excercise analysis is also prety good on the watch but obviously can't compete with a full size computer screen or phone screen.

One limitation is that the GearTracker app doesn't have a phone or PC application for easier viewing and analysis.  This would be a  worthwhile addition for GearTracker but with good uplaod compatibility to Strava it isn't too much of a problem.  It is really easy to fip between differnt workout types and the screens are so easy to read. Much better then Strava or Samsung Heath. It is also very easy to confirm you have a GPS signal on the watch and picking up heart rate before you press start and set off. The autopause also works correctly. Despite confirming that you have a heart rate signal beore starting it prety much always doesn't read heart rate properly for the first 1-2 miles before it settles down and then seems to read OK bar the occaisonal spike.  However I found  exactly the same issue when using Samsung Health so may be something fundamnetal to the heart rate monitoring on the watch and not a problem with GearTracker.

Average pace on the Gear Tracker App seems to be OK but when lookign at it in more detail actual pace is fluctuation up and down more than in reality. So still not perfect but prety good. It does throw out the mile interval pace out a little but not so much. The spike in pace recording are shorter term then that, so the mile pace is still reasonably accurate. 

So all in all I'm prety happy with the GearTracker App, the problem is that it doesn't seem to pick up my 4iiii Precision cycle power meter. But then again neither does Samsung Health. To yet again I have another expensive peice of hardward in the form of my power meter crank that I can't seem to integrate with my other data and get onto Strava.

I really wish I'd bought a Garmin watch and separate cycle computer. Their hardware and software seem to integrate all these devices seamlessly.

The only thing I do hear is some issue with the Gramin's crashing part way through an exercise which is clearly frustrating, but this does seem to be the exception rather then the rule. I think this is maybe down to it trying to integrate so many other accessories and devices and the software integration this requires. I'd rather have all the data that is accurate most of the time rather then some of the data that is inaccurate all of the time, so the Garmin wins out until Samsung and Strava get their act together

If GearTracker would just :-

1) integrate the 4iiii power meter

2) work on the issues with pace (and heart rate) data accuracy to eliminate the short term spikes (I think the heart rate issue is maybe fundamnetal to the watch as the Samsung Heath App does the same, but the pace data on Sumsung Health doesn't appear to show the same short term spikes that it does on GearTracker. The fact that the mile interval pace is broadly accurate on GearTracker means I can live with it)

Then it would be perfect. Perfect and automatic upload to Strava for distance, time and heart rate, excellent customisation functionality (best I've ever seen on any app of any kind) and easy to read screens that are easy to control on the move.

I've been meaning to write to GearTracker about these 2 issues above. If those were sorted, I could forget about Samsung Health altogether.

Quick update GearTracker App. It now picks up my 4iiii Precision power meter. Yippee !!

Seems prety accurate

So now I am getting accurate distance, time (with auto pause), average and mile pace, crank power and heart rate on Strava, all automatically with no manual intervention. Instantaneous pace still fluctuates a bit too much when measured over a short time frame but can live with that.

For some reason the app doesn't appear to be picking up my cadence from the 4iiii power meter, which the 4iiii Precision power meter does measure, and the cadence option appears to be greyed out on the App. So need to work on that now.

For any of you that haven't tried it, the GearTracker is the best solution. It is now better than Samsung Health even could be if they sorted the Strava upload issue (which is doesn't look like they are going to do)

Even if SamsungHealth upload to Strava was working it still doesn't support my crank power meter and the on screen watch customisation on GearTracker is much better then Samsung Health.

I 100% support all those still trying to get Samsung to sort out the Strava upload problem. But for me GearTrackers is now a better solution with a number of advantages over Samsung Health even ignoring the fundamental Strava upload issue which is a complete deal breaker for me.

So thanks to Geartracker I won't be ditching my Samsung watch and phone. GearTracker really have saved Samsungs bacon in this repect, as I was very close to ditching all Samsung mobile products for good.

maverick1103
Pioneer
Options

@amallagh wrote:

@amallagh wrote:

While we all wait impatiently for Strava and Samsung to fix the upload compatibility issue between Samsung Health and Strava, we all have some sort of partial workaround that at least allows us to get some elemnet of accurate data onto Strava.

I think for most of us then distance and time are the most important, probably followed by pace and heart rate and then maybe cadence

Certainly when I bought the Active2, it was its integrated heart rate monitor that was a key feature as I hated wearing a chest strap.

Couple of questions - Has the latest edition of the Strava watch app sorted the data upload issue re accuracy of distance, time and pace ?

Problem with this of course is that there is no heart rate monitoring annd the functionality of the Strava App is appaling.  Can't read the screen on the go as it is too small, no screen customisation and I still haven't figured out how to stop it measuring before you are sure it has acquired a good GPS signal. All in all the Strava watch app has the worst functionality of all the options.

I see from post on here that some people are separately uploading GPX files. Surprised this works to be frank but what a faff and a bridge too far for me. Never mid  the fact that the basic GPX file only includes location and time data so even worse then the Strava watch app as an option.

Samsung have recently issued a Samsung Health App update  but this has sorted nothing regarding the Strava upload issue we are all having.

My own workaround is the GearTracker App which I think is the best workaroud in that it does give prety accurate distance, time and heart rate data when uploaded to Strava when using 'GT Timing'  setting, and it does it all automatically without any manual input.

The GearTracker app is infinitely configurable and the designer has really gone to town on what you can see on the watch with easy switch between fully configurable screens on the go.  Post excercise analysis is also prety good on the watch but obviously can't compete with a full size computer screen or phone screen.

One limitation is that the GearTracker app doesn't have a phone or PC application for easier viewing and analysis.  This would be a  worthwhile addition for GearTracker but with good uplaod compatibility to Strava it isn't too much of a problem.  It is really easy to fip between differnt workout types and the screens are so easy to read. Much better then Strava or Samsung Heath. It is also very easy to confirm you have a GPS signal on the watch and picking up heart rate before you press start and set off. The autopause also works correctly. Despite confirming that you have a heart rate signal beore starting it prety much always doesn't read heart rate properly for the first 1-2 miles before it settles down and then seems to read OK bar the occaisonal spike.  However I found  exactly the same issue when using Samsung Health so may be something fundamnetal to the heart rate monitoring on the watch and not a problem with GearTracker.

Average pace on the Gear Tracker App seems to be OK but when lookign at it in more detail actual pace is fluctuation up and down more than in reality. So still not perfect but prety good. It does throw out the mile interval pace out a little but not so much. The spike in pace recording are shorter term then that, so the mile pace is still reasonably accurate. 

So all in all I'm prety happy with the GearTracker App, the problem is that it doesn't seem to pick up my 4iiii Precision cycle power meter. But then again neither does Samsung Health. To yet again I have another expensive peice of hardward in the form of my power meter crank that I can't seem to integrate with my other data and get onto Strava.

I really wish I'd bought a Garmin watch and separate cycle computer. Their hardware and software seem to integrate all these devices seamlessly.

The only thing I do hear is some issue with the Gramin's crashing part way through an exercise which is clearly frustrating, but this does seem to be the exception rather then the rule. I think this is maybe down to it trying to integrate so many other accessories and devices and the software integration this requires. I'd rather have all the data that is accurate most of the time rather then some of the data that is inaccurate all of the time, so the Garmin wins out until Samsung and Strava get their act together

2) work on the issues with pace (and heart rate) data accuracy to eliminate the short term spikes (I think the heart rate issue is maybe fundamnetal to the watch as the Samsung Heath App does the same, but the pace data on Sumsung Health doesn't appear to show the same short term spikes that it does on GearTracker. The fact that the mile interval pace is broadly accurate on GearTracker means I can live with it)

Then it would be perfect. Perfect and automatic upload to Strava for distance, time and heart rate, excellent customisation functionality (best I've ever seen on any app of any kind) and easy to read screens that are easy to control on the move.

I've been meaning to write to GearTracker about these 2 issues above. If those were sorted, I could forget about Samsung Health altogether.

Quick update GearTracker App. It now picks up my 4iiii Precision power meter. Yippee !!

Seems prety accurate

So now I am getting accurate distance, time (with auto pause), average and mile pace, crank power and heart rate on Strava, all automatically with no manual intervention. Instantaneous pace still fluctuates a bit too much when measured over a short time frame but can live with that.

For some reason the app doesn't appear to be picking up my cadence from the 4iiii power meter, which the 4iiii Precision power meter does measure, and the cadence option appears to be greyed out on the App. So need to work on that now.

For any of you that haven't tried it, the GearTracker is the best solution. It is now better than Samsung Health even could be if they sorted the Strava upload issue (which is doesn't look like they are going to do)

Even if SamsungHealth upload to Strava was working it still doesn't support my crank power meter and the on screen watch customisation on GearTracker is much better then Samsung Health.

I 100% support all those still trying to get Samsung to sort out the Strava upload problem. But for me GearTrackers is now a better solution with a number of advantages over Samsung Health even ignoring the fundamental Strava upload issue which is a complete deal breaker for me.

So thanks to Geartracker I won't be ditching my Samsung watch and phone. GearTracker really have saved Samsungs bacon in this repect, as I was very close to ditching all Samsung mobile products for good.

I agree GearTracker is the best option at present, I've been using it for last month and it's pretty much spot on and does everything I wanted S Health to do, it has great customisation and as you mentioned offers a lot more.

I was having problems with S Health not pulling data from Strava until last week and now it's started working again, so now I complete my runs using GT>Upload to Strava>Download to S Health and I can now get the data where I want. The only problem is I have to delete the autoruns S Health has logged otherwise I get duplicates in S Health, or I can turn them off but haven't got around to trying that yet.

0 Likes
MirceaForce
Navigator
Options

@Arie67 

this will not fix anything tried on my own same thing as sync from samsung health....

Jared17ds
Explorer
Options

hey @maverick1103 how do you get strava to syn to s health? cos i need my run data to be accurately on both that is my issue i need s health for my discovery vitality points and stava to comapre with friends and all that. hwo do you get it to sync to both of them? becoase if it works ill concider using this gear tracker app.

@maverick1103 wrote:

@amallagh wrote:

@amallagh wrote:

Seems prety accurate

I agree GearTracker is the best option at present, I've been using it for last month and it's pretty much spot on and does everything I wanted S Health to do, it has great customisation and as you mentioned offers a lot more.

I was having problems with S Health not pulling data from Strava until last week and now it's started working again, so now I complete my runs using GT>Upload to Strava>Download to S Health and I can now get the data where I want. The only problem is I have to delete the autoruns S Health has logged otherwise I get duplicates in S Health, or I can turn them off but haven't got around to trying that yet.

0 Likes
Jared17ds
Explorer
Options

@MirceaForce wrote:

@Arie67 

this will not fix anything tried on my own same thing as sync from samsung health....

i agree i did exactly that and it was still inaccurate as usual. not sure what we doing wrong 

0 Likes
maverick1103
Pioneer
Options

@Jared17ds wrote:

hey @maverick1103 how do you get strava to syn to s health? cos i need my run data to be accurately on both that is my issue i need s health for my discovery vitality points and stava to comapre with friends and all that. hwo do you get it to sync to both of them? becoase if it works ill concider using this gear tracker app.

@maverick1103 wrote:

@amallagh wrote:

@amallagh wrote:

Seems prety accurate

Hi @Jared17ds all I did was go into S Health settings and connected services and followed the steps to sign in with Strava, make sure you use the browser to sign in and authenticate rather than Strava as that doesn't work currently (I believe GT mentions this as well on their Facebook page), after I did that anything uploaded from Strava now appears in S Health and it's only for new data.

0 Likes